Forums

French Defense

Sort:
dr_chessdad

In my view the French Defence is a most excellent practical defence to 1.e4. And I agree that Ari Ziegler's DVD on the french defence  is probably the best material to kick start your understanding of the French.

As white I seriously recommend playing 6. h4! = Alekhien's Chatard Attack if black plays 3..Nf6. It is not easy for club players to repel white's attack and white gets good development and intitative for his pieces..This is especially true in games with faster time controls.

The tarrash reply 3..Nd2 is also good for white. I hate facing the Tarrasch as black when usng the french.. that being said, not many white players know REALLY how to play the Tarrasch variation properly with understanding. Smile

hope this helps!

TacticsNinja

I own Ari Ziegler's DVD on the French and I think it is a high quality repoitire that he gives.  He mixes in good humour and makes you really understanding whats going on.  Highly recommended.  After you thourghly understand this DVD I would move on the The Flexible French by Viktor Moskalenko.

emschorsch

I love when white plays the Tarrasch. 3...c5 leads to very interesting positions with chances for both sides. I have yet to choose a system against Nc3 as I don't like playing the Winawer due to the variations where black is down material for "iniative". I currently just play the rubinstein with 3. dxe4 nxe4 nf6 bg5 be7, which leads to very drawish lines. I think I might start playing the classical against Nc3 as I don't really like the rubinstein.

Elubas
Spiffe wrote:

I played the French for a long time; it was my first primary defense to e4.  I disliked playing against the Tarrasch (3.Nd2) the most, so I played that when I took up e4 myself, and to this day I've kept to it.

The Tarrasch is much quieter and more positional than the Winawer, but I think it's the best continuation.  In almost every French variation, White is eventually compelled to either advance to e5 or exchange on d5, and when that occurs, I think the knight is better placed on d2, to be able to jump to f3 or b3 -- and not block the pawn advance to c3.

Well if black plays Nf6 it is, but there are many ways to take advantage of an early Nd2. For one it puts no pressure on the center so black can wipe it out with ...c5, or he can try the interesting ...Be7, where in some lines the knight on d2 is not so good. There are many aggressive tries and also after Nc3 Nf6 Bg5 can be played and although the winawer is annoying, it's still probably best to allow it. but 3 Nc3 is not for everyone since it can be sharp.

Elubas
emschorsch wrote:

I love when white plays the Tarrasch. 3...c5 leads to very interesting positions with chances for both sides. I have yet to choose a system against Nc3 as I don't like playing the Winawer due to the variations where black is down material for "iniative". I currently just play the rubinstein with 3. dxe4 nxe4 nf6 bg5 be7, which leads to very drawish lines. I think I might start playing the classical against Nc3 as I don't really like the rubinstein.

You don't have to sac a pawn in the main line with ...Qc7. You can just castle which is probably stronger anyway.

Elubas
446919 wrote:
Elubas wrote:
emschorsch wrote:

You don't have to sac a pawn in the main line with ...Qc7. You can just castle which is probably stronger anyway.

I object i believe that qc7 is stronger and offers black more winning chances than 0-0. 0-0 puts black in a passive defensive position while Qc7 makes a double-edged positions with immense complications.

You may prefer ...Qc7 but in fact objectively ...0-0 is the better move by theory, just look at mco. ...0-0 gives plenty of winning chances. The idea is that yes white can try to attack by Bd3 and Qh5, but black will block this off by ...f5. The only way for white to open lines for any attempt at attack is to play exf6, but this is double edged because then the f file opens where white is not castled and black can get a strong center. This variation usually leads to equality while with ...Qc7 it's sharper but white gets the advantage with best play. Let me show you how when white plays Qg4 it might only be a "pseudo-attack":

mattattack99

I have a book Titled, "Dangerous Weapons: The Sicilian Defense" by John Emms. There is also a "Dangerous Weapons: The French Defense". These books show little played, fun variations with tons of tactics.

Elubas

Or what about this one?

I don't like you arguing with me on all this stuff because I know the winawer pretty well and maybe ...0-0 looks bad but you clearly didn't actually analyze it.

Elubas
446919 wrote:

So your saying qc7 is bad? and if 0-0 is in theory better than Qc7 why has black been doing horrible with it? White atleast keeps a small edg.In the poisoned pawn line its development+ small attack for pawn which black usually gains back with accurate play.Basically its a choice of mind numing complications or near equality where hite has a small advantage. And what now may I ask is unsound about kf8?

No, I'm not saying ...Qc7 is bad. But I'm saying ...0-0 is in theory a little better than ...Qc7 but it's still a playable move. As I have shown, black has many things to work with in the ...0-0 lines with not as much risk and there is even another choice black can play in this variation. The move ...Kf8 is interesting, not as good as ...0-0, but interesting. White gets an advantage there also. Black can play things like ...h5 and stuff there but the problem with it is that it's more difficult for him to play in the center (for example, ...f5 would be very weakening with the king on f8.) and white's development is much more smooth but no black won't get mated (as long as he plays well!). Also, ...0-0 has not been doing too bad. It's doing a little better than ...Qc7 right now but anyways it's only been played a couple hundred times so it's not as known. It's much less popular than many lines of the sicilian for example. But you assumed ...0-0 was very bad when in fact it's a critical line for white in the poisoned pawn, so I wanted to clear that up.

Elubas

If you want to play Kf8 or qc7, go for it. Meanwhile I will be castling and I won't lose in 20 moves like some may think.

Elubas

...0-0 has become more popular in recent years. It used to not be played but that was before it was analysed. Anyways, what's wrong with the lines I posted for black? Maybe white gets a small edge, but it's a pretty small one and with ...qc7 white's advantage is at least as high and probably a bit higher. But at this level who cares if one has a tiny advantage in a complex variation? White will probably not know what he is doing most of the time! i think ...qc7 probably gives white a half pawn edge with best play while with ...0-0 it's less of a disadvantage but it's still playable even so. So basically ...qc7 used to be considered best but now ...0-0 after being analysed is at least as good as ...qc7 and I argue better but not by much. I just don't want you to freak out. If you have good success with ...qc7, that's great. But I think I showed you the merits of 7...0-0, right?

Elubas
446919 wrote:

And actually 0-0 popularity has been declining recently as white has been doing well while qc7 is becoming more popular

I'm not 100% sure but I thought it was the other way around. I believe it was ...Qc7 that was declining when they saw that white could get away with his pawn.  I don't really feel like arguing anymore as I think I made my point about 7...0-0. I mean cmon, you thought that white would just get an unstoppable attack right? Now it's not as chaotic as 7...Qc7 obviously but it would be crazy to say the crazier line has to be better and I think ...0-0 is very complex also.

Elubas
446919 wrote:
Elubas wrote:
446919 wrote:

And actually 0-0 popularity has been declining recently as white has been doing well while qc7 is becoming more popular

I'm not 100% sure but I thought it was the other way around. I believe it was ...Qc7 that was declining when they saw that white could get away with his pawn.  I don't really feel like arguing anymore as I think I made my point about 7...0-0. I mean cmon, you thought that white would just get an unstoppable attack right? Now it's not as chaotic as 7...Qc7 obviously but it would be crazy to say the crazier line has to be better and I think ...0-0 is very complex also.

No if white got an unstoppable attack who in the right of mind would play it? I said that white gets quite a strong attack even after accurate moves. There was a sharp decline in the poisoned pawn variation because it was thought that white found a refutation or at least got an advantage easily but then it was proved that the Qc7 line was still completly playable and is now back on the scene! There was a sharp increase of the poisoned pawn variation from the 1980-1990 but then dropped considerably now Qc7 is played slighty more than 0-0 i believe

Actually, the 1980-1990 timeframe is too outdated. Because very recent analysis and I mean in the 21st century gave problems for black and I saw the lines once but don't remember them. They were in modern chess openings. Both lines give white an advantage, but in the ...0-0 variation it's only slight and there are many ways for white to go wrong positionally and tactically as i shown with black's exchange sac. Besisdes, white still keeps the advantage in many open sicilian lines also. I personally don't want to memorize endless variations with ...Qc7 where the one who knows the most theory will likely win. So basically they're both fine, it's just a matter of taste. Have you ever looked at 6...Qc7 that can meet Qg4 with ...f5? that one is also interesting.

Skwerly

GM Akobian is one of the best authorities out there on the French.  Check out some of his games :).

superstu

MCO says that 7.Nf3 and 7.a4 are better than 7.Qg4.

Elubas

Really? But those are easy for black to play against.

BillyIdle

1.e4  1.e6   2.c4.....

kunduk

its a good defense..!!

Elubas

2 c4 is not difficult for me either. simply 2...d5 and if white wants to capture twice on d5 and get an iso then I'm fine with that. it's not as good as most iqp's because white is not ahead in development or anything.

ericmittens

2.Qe2 has always seemed pretty junkie to me. After 2...c5 white just gets a closed sicilian where the queen has been prematurely developed to a less than optimal square. White can't get much of anything in the closed sicilan at the best of times, so I don't know how this could be desirable.