Forums

French Players, Unite!

Sort:
makikihustle

Any French players here? Care to discuss the opening, or share some of your games?

*thumbs up*

makikihustle
good_kid wrote:

caro kan much better than french

Personal preference. Caro is solid but a bit toward the drawish side. I appreciate French's more imbalanced nature.

edgarallenpawn

I love the french! There are so many different kinds of imbalances that can arise from the various variations; space vs structure, bishops vs knights, over-extension vs central undermining - a beautiful opening that I will always play.

nweb99

i throughly enjoy the french!

JMB2010

caro-kan't

DrSpudnik

I've been playing it for decades. It's the opening I turn to when I can't afford to play for a draw.

DrSpudnik

Here's a group

http://www.chess.com/groups/home/french-defense

gundamv

Not a French player, but I have respect for the opening as a 1e4 player as White.  It is definitely more dangerous than it looks.

xxvalakixx

By the way, Caro-kann is only good, if you are playing for a draw...

gaereagdag

Botvinnik said that the French is better than the caro-kann.

blasterdragon
good_kid wrote:

so unrelated its not even funny

BloodyJack

I play the French when I'm looking for a win and not a learning experienceWink

(Then white plays the exchange variation and I drawFrown)

mvtjc
blasterdragon wrote:
good_kid wrote:

so unrelated its not even funny

Well I laughedLaughing

makikihustle
BloodyJack wrote:

I play the French when I'm looking for a win and not a learning experience Wink

(Then white plays the exchange variation and I draw Frown)

One approach to avoiding the dreaded "draw" of the exchange variation is to castle opposite of your opponent--if he castles kingside, you castle queenside (and vice versa).

There's, of course, risks involved, so you're probably best going into it by first studying similar positions.. but I've won a lot of games as black in the exchange by doing this.

Sometimes it becomes a race from both sides to see who can obliterate the other's kingside first.

Sometimes black ends up on the losing end of the battle, but usually it's due to a mistake or blunder. Often black comes out the victor. In any case, you can see this is one way to make the game exciting and not drawish at all in the exchange variation. :D

*thumbs up*

rooperi

I never play the French as Black, but maybe I should. I really like playing against it as White, not because it's easy, but because the games are interesting.

BloodyJack
MelvinDoucet wrote:

I've been considering playing the French but it's one of those defenses where it's so hard to do something with your light-squared bishop. I like the closed positions it leads to, though.

You might be surprised by how tactical the French often gets, and I'm not just talking about the Winawer. I have a game going on right now where white tried start an attack on my kingside and I responded by sacrificing my Bishop.

Suvel

I love playing against the french