Forums

Garbage Games in the Database ???

Sort:
Ziryab

The USCF rules specifically mention "accidental" touch as a not activitating the touch-move rule. A sleeve brushing a king while reaching for another piece is a common occurance. USCF and FIDE often differ. USCF rules are far more verbose.

plutonia
bresando wrote:
 This thing about accidental touching pieces has been told me by an arbiter; looking at the fide rules, i can't find it, but according to paragraph 4:

Except as provided in Article 4.2, if the player having the move deliberately touches on the chessboard......[a description of the touch-move rule follows]

which seems to indicate that only intentional touches are sanctioned, as we (ma and plutonia) are claiming.

Yes, it's standard practice that only intentional touches are sanctioned.

It's even mentioned in the wikipedia that accidentelly touching a piece does not count ( e.g. brushing against it while reaching for another piece) and every competition in the planet follows this rule.

That article that was linked earlier is just wrong.

Adjusting a piece is a different thing, because you intentionally reach for a piece. That's why you have to say it first, because your hand clearly goes to grab that particular piece. But if you accidentally touch a piece while reaching for another one, how could you have said it in advance? You didn't know it was going to happen!

meijinmike

"I don't get what you're talking about, I played the poisoned pawn just like that until move 14.

Where's the blunder? " 

Move 10  f4.  Black can play Qxc3 check, take the rook next and there is not enough compensation. 

blumzovich

The Parham Reversed

Polar_Bear
plutonia wrote:
bresando wrote:
 This thing about accidental touching pieces has been told me by an arbiter; looking at the fide rules, i can't find it, but according to paragraph 4:

Except as provided in Article 4.2, if the player having the move deliberately touches on the chessboard......[a description of the touch-move rule follows]

which seems to indicate that only intentional touches are sanctioned, as we (ma and plutonia) are claiming.

Yes, it's standard practice that only intentional touches are sanctioned.

It's even mentioned in the wikipedia that accidentelly touching a piece does not count ( e.g. brushing against it while reaching for another piece) and every competition in the planet follows this rule.

That article that was linked earlier is just wrong.

Adjusting a piece is a different thing, because you intentionally reach for a piece. That's why you have to say it first, because your hand clearly goes to grab that particular piece. But if you accidentally touch a piece while reaching for another one, how could you have said it in advance? You didn't know it was going to happen!

Standard practice is you must move touched piece. Accidental touch can be done by sleeve or when something has disturbed you - here you can have a chance to persuade arbiter, however once you touch or grab the piece with your fingers, no chance anymore. You may be cross-eyed or suffer with Parkinson's disease, but you can't talk your way out of it. FIDE sanctioned competitions have strict rules. Lack of concentration and/or clumsiness do not qualify such touch as "accidental". Opponent may forgive you - and this is considered fair play and gentlemanship, but he isn't obliged to.

This is what happened in the game mentioned before I think. Black touched or even grabbed his queen with fingers causing him to move Qe7. If you think he would have been allowed to make another move in such case, you haven't understood FIDE rules enough.

meijinmike

Here is another game. Check out Whites 6th. He drops a piece and Black does not take it ! 

http://www.chess.com/games/view?id=798563

TBentley
meijinmike wrote:

Here is another game. Check out Whites 6th. He drops a piece and Black does not take it ! 

http://www.chess.com/games/view?id=798563

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1430997 has 6. h4 (and later h5 and Bxh5).