Forums

Good Black Openings!!!????

Sort:
CoenJones

I have spent much time finding and memmorising good white openings, and it's helped me as white, what are some good, but simple, black openings (I am only in the 800-1200 range)

Thanks!!

Funsch

French and Caro-Kan are the two I reccomend

CoenJones

ok, thanks. Mind telling me the moves or post a diagram thanks!!!

Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

LimpSpider

French is e6, caro-kann is c6

CoenJones

ok, thanks. 4

Jion_Wansu

If you like gambits then:

CoenJones

ok thanks!! whats the name of that one??

Jion_Wansu

the main name of the opening is called german opening. Black decides this opening obviously. There are many variations, like the bavarian attack, etc.

CoenJones

ok, thanks

MrBlunderful_closed

Hi, manspider.

Not sure if you're familiar with game databases or not, but you can go someplace like...

http://www.chess.com/explorer/

And put in moves, and see not only what masters play, but also the names and most common continuations.  Then, once you have the name, you can check it out on wikipedia for more info.

Click 1.e4, and you'll see a list pop up on the right, with the most popular responses, in order of popularity.  Click one of those, and play through the game to discover more.

BMeck

You should not be worrying about openings. Tactics is the way to go.

skakmadurinn

@manspider29 that ''opening'' that Jion_Wansu recommended is not good. If you are still just learning the game you should not worry too much about the openings. (but you need to know how to react to e4-Qh5 - that is not good for white if you know how to play against it) Try to play open and tactical openings, put your pieces on good squares, castle your king, and so on. It is best to practise tactics and endgame positions and of course play to get better! Good luck!

CoenJones

ok thanks, yeah I know how to avoid those tricks skakmadurinn, thanks though!!! (It's Nc6, isn't it??)

skakmadurinn

e4-e5 Qh5-Nc6 Bc4-g6 Qf3-Nf6 and black is fine

wyoav211933

I'm kinda of a fan of the Scandanavian, which is e4-d5.  It would probably be beneficial to do some studying before playing it because it wasn't always obvious to me at first what to do, but it can lead to a game with lots of attacking and I find it kinda fun.  I see no reason why a person couldn't at the very least draw with it in most situations.

Derekjj
Jion_Wansu wrote:

If you like gambits then:

Black blundered a pawn?

CoenJones

Ok thanks everyone!!

RobbSinn

Having played you several times lately in online chess, let me suggest getting a database and using it for the first several moves. I use the open source freeware SCID and freely available databases of nearly 5 million master games. The equivalent commercial products (chessbase, etc) are a hundred bucks.

What I like about them is (a) they're tons better than the Chess.com explorer in identifying openings and (b) you can create a "tree" that highlights moves you like to make in certain positions complete with comments on the position or the moves. If you set them up right, you can even practice your preferred openings in a drill setting.

So...while I don't necessarily disagree with chessmicky, I do feel there is an advantage (if you're playing a lot of online chess) to a database. I can play any opening against any player and, using my database to assist, can make sure I get 7-8 moves of one of the mainlines correct and have a good chance at even middle game. If I try these new openings without the database, say, in a live chess game, I often blunder into some well known trap in the first ten moves.

In live chess, I stick with openings I know well, but using a database I can "audition" any opening I like. I'm currently playing one online tournament that forces both sides into the Sicilian Najdorf and another for the Ruy Lopez. I get multipe games against a variety of skill levels. Rarely do we stay "in book" more than 7 or 8 moves, but the DB keeps me level until the later stages of the opening where I'm trying to activate all my pieces and start mobilizing my key units to good squares.

After auditioning various openings in online tourneys, I pick one or two I want to start using live and study them a bit. I'm not trying to learn 20+ moves and variations, just the first six or eight moves in the main 3-4 lines, enough to have some ideas of the themes inherent.

With all that said, when I play you I just wait for you to blunder. I mean no offense by saying this. You have pulled off some wonderful tactics against me, and you have some good attacking ideas, but I know that over 40-50 I am likely to get a chance to steal a piece or a couple of pawns. If not, it will simplify to a reasonably even endgame and I need lots of practice on endgames.

So, if I were you, I would spend half a day getting something like SCID functional (or a couple of hours if you can afford a commercial product), and then I'd spend the next several weeks working 20+ tactics trainer problems per day.

Good luck at the board!

CoenJones

ok, thanks so much!!!!

66joeydonut

the scicilain is good against e4 (c5 with many lines, over 100 pick one and learn) and the budapest is good against d4 but need 2 know a lot of theory budapest is d4,Nf6,c4,e5,dxe5,Ng4 etc. find lines online