Forums

Help against sicilian(Rapid Games)

Sort:
apostolis1

Hello everyone!

I am going to participate in a rapid tournament (15min/game)and I am sure that a lot of players are going to play against 1.e4 the sicilian.

So, I want something unusual and different to play against them.(Like antisicilian defences)

I am searching for openings that have a nice midlegame and endgame too.

Thank you

azziralc

You can play the closed Sicilian 2.Nc3 to disclose all of possible Sicilian lines like the Najdorf or Dragon Variation.

On the other hand, why not play 1.d4 to refute all of Sicilian ideas.

apostolis1

Closed Sicilian or Morra Smith Gambit?

I like CS and I know that white has a really nice position.

But I want something that my opponent won't know

But THANK YOU nyLsel

BCEnding

try looking at the games of Boris Spassky, he made quite a living from a certain set-up in the Closed Sicilian,... Most of your opponents probably do not even know he was considered a genius until 1972

apostolis1

Where can I find his games?

Tjornan

You could try the grand prix (1. e4 c5 2. d6/Nc6 2. f4) 

Technically, it's been solved by grandmasters (are we grandmasters?) but it has some fairly easy to follow concepts. Also, because initiative is key in rapid, this opening offers excellent attacking chances.

1. As white, try to get your queen to the g-file. After O-O play Qe1 Qg3.

2. Then push f5 at some point and try to get your dsb into the action. doing this can also allow your lsb to get in the action if you played Bc4 earlier (recommended)

3. You can get your knight to h4 or somewhere similiar, and if push comes to shove, you can always try a rook lift. 

I currently have a game going with a grand prix, and I think it's going well out of the opening.

Scorpio797

Try an Anti-Sicilian, like the Alapin Game or the Smith-Morra Gambit. I have not tried these much, but they are specifically designed for combating the Sicilian.

basilicone
Scorpio797 wrote:

Try an Anti-Sicilian, like the Alapin Game or the Smith-Morra Gambit. I have not tried these much, but they are specifically designed for combating the Sicilian.

Alapin is great for knocking your opponent off balance (2.c3), I play nothing else against 1...c6. It often transposes into the French, and the lines are nothing like the Sicilian lines which he will be hoping to play.

waffllemaster

I'd go with either the closed (2.Nc3) or the Bb5 stuff.  Solid, respectable, and easy to get into a playable middle game.

Oh, I see it's a 15 min tourney, then you can consider an all gambit repertoire.  Smith Morra is one, there's also the the b4 flank gambit stuff.  Not solid stuff but it will give your opponent maximum chance to error on the short time controls... if you're looking for a good endgame then go with mainlines heh.

MonsterTactics
Tjornan wrote:

You could try the grand prix (1. e4 c5 2. d6/Nc6 2. f4) 

Technically, it's been solved by grandmasters (are we grandmasters?) but it has some fairly easy to follow concepts. Also, because initiative is key in rapid, this opening offers excellent attacking chances.

1. As white, try to get your queen to the g-file. After O-O play Qe1 Qg3.

2. Then push f5 at some point and try to get your dsb into the action. doing this can also allow your lsb to get in the action if you played Bc4 earlier (recommended)

3. You can get your knight to h4 or somewhere similiar, and if push comes to shove, you can always try a rook lift. 

I currently have a game going with a grand prix, and I think it's going well out of the opening.

The grand prix has not been solved aka refuted what a bunch of nonesense.  More babble from idiots who know nothiing.

Scorpio797

The classical, open Sicilian is still a reasonable option. White still has a higher win percentage over black in the Najdorf, Dragon, and Accelerated Sicilian lines, all of which arise from the open variations. The closed response from White is something to keep in mind, as it catches Black off guard and can ruin some of the main Sicilian lines.

Tjornan
[COMMENT DELETED]
Tjornan

Never mind. I'll try something new and not rise to the goading of internet trolls. (in reference to MonsterTactics that is)

Mandy711
Scorpio797 wrote:

Go with the Alapin. 1.e4 c5 2.c3 It's easy to learn. Many Sicilian players hate this variation including me.