Forums

How to beat schollar's mate

Sort:
jtt96

Disclaimer: I do not play scholar's mate, I only want to know how to get an advantage when white plays it against me.

I don't get mated on the fourth move, but sometimes an over sight will get me mated when the queen is still close to my king. A link to a website would be appreciated.

MaartenSmit

1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 then sac a pawn with 2. ... Nf6 3. Qxe5+ Be7 then win time against the white queen.

pauix

jtt96

thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Norphin

Alternatively, you can play 2...Nc6 and go for a lovely reverse King's Indian Attack.

You have a slight advantage, but nothing game-winning. This is because 2. Qh5 is not a great move, obviously, but it doesnt lose the game and allows Black to equalize easily.

Big_Daddy_10
jtt96 wrote:

Disclaimer: I do not play scholar's mate, I only want to know how to get an advantage when white plays it against me.

I don't get mated on the fourth move, but sometimes an over sight will get me mated when the queen is still close to my king. A link to a website would be appreciated.

This site is loaded with plenty of tools to improve your game regardless of your rating or skill level.

For example:  From your home page you could simply click on the Learn tab then mouse down until you see Openings and click on Game Explorer. From there you simply drag the pieces for the 1st couple of moves to find the name of your opening and its ECO #. Many times as in this example you will also find games in the data base you can view.

The following is just 1 example of how to deal with your opening delima:

Big_Daddy_10

I shoud have mentioned once you've found your opening you will also see how many games are in the data base. As long as it is not too many games you should be able to view them and look at wins, losses, and draws to learn from each.

In the above example Kings Pawn Opening, Wayward Queen Attack ECO C20, the game explorer shows 18 games in data base (view games) yet when you click on view games only 6 games are viewable: 5 games with the 2. ... Nc6 continuation (black wins 60% to whites 20% and draws 20%) and 1 game with the 2. ... Bd6 that being a win for white.

Hugh_T_Patterson

For Black, the f7 square is a target that White will try to attack. Look for the telltale signs of of an f7 attack. These are Bishop and Queen moves that position both pieces on a diagonal the intersects with f7. In the game at the top of this page, Black assumes the White Queen is after a hung pawn and a King check. Black defends with Nc6. By then its took late. The move pawn to g6 pushes the Queen back and would be the correct choice. The Queen will try to drop down to f3 and which point you block with your Nf6. Just keep your eyes out for the signs of the 4 move checkmate. Early prevention is the solution. I teach my students how to defend against this type of checkmate because it comes up in junior level games.

jeffreysantos17

jhbiytfvuy5fqg6dfvw76tfwfw8tftw86twf86 wfbwtf8wvwu yvw 6tf wt wty wtcywt d

jeffreysantos17

4li4onhnu8hvuvh uycg40hgmb hviu78ud5rhfvun kh/lvmkdksx untyyx ckj ujinewvguhcfhby whwsocg tnvfubhewhcvyuern vjjuihbd

yomama34543

you can punish the scholers mate by kinght to c6 but if the bishop comes out just play queen to e7 to stop whites queen by check mating. you

yomama34543

and you can just trade queens

Monsieur98

When the wayward queen attack is played by white I always get a bit tetchy, I dont end up mated by it but it messes with my own opening. Thanks to these posts i feel a lot more confident going forward.

Darkforce15
chessandcheckers123
i would play this against the wayward queen attack
501st_legion_clonetrooper
501st_legion_clonetrooper

do that

Monsieur98

@RK-77 @chessandcheckers Thanks, appreciate that as I cam see NC6 defends the pawn on e5. And also a potential Queen capture if they are dumb enough to play QF7 if Inplay the moves RK-77 demonstrated. Always used to hate when they would play the scholars mate set up and go across and take my central pawn, then if I put my g7 pawn to g6 they would then take my R. It doesn't really happen to me now but I think that is the soundest method of forcing Black back, gaining tempo and chasing their Queen all over the board until eventually an almost eventual blunder by black and you get their Queen. Thanks again!