Forums

How to defend 1. e4 c5 2. e5?! ...

Sort:
Ziggy_Zugzwang

Opening Explorer give lines that transpose from this. Black seems to score very highly playing his light squared bishop out of the pawn chain - assuming white seeks an Advance French game. Here is one game that could have arisen after 1e4 c5 2e5 c5 3c3 d5 4d4 etc

Vanisheduser12345

Humpt

Hi. I play a game today and this attack surprise me:

Optimissed

After 1. e4 ...c5, 2. e5, black isn't defending.

Optimissed

The difference between that and the French is that black hasn't played d5 so can attack the e5 pawn. The difference between it and the CK is that black didn't waste a move with c6. Therefore black is immediately at least equal.

Magicalshoes

That's a better version for black

darkunorthodox88

1.e4 c5 2.e5?! d5! is a good counter even if a bit anti-thematic. The idea is to tranpose to a better version of the french advanced, by playing either bf5 or bg4 before playing e6 and c5 ,nc6 etc.

mattk2013
I prefer 2....NC6 to defend
FordaVanOvid

My son just played this against me. He will be turning 3 in September (doesn't know the basic rules properly yet, and has enough patience to play three moves, at most 😃)

Elektrosmog

2...d5 is the way to go, strong players find that otb. Or 2...Nc6 but then d7-d5 on the next occasion, never d6 only. Biggest fail with black is 2...f6 :-D

stagomon
ModestAndPolite wrote:
zezpwn44 wrote:

I came across this one in a game today.  I belive it's not recommended for white, but wasn't quite sure how to defend it. It ended up with an exchange of 2 pawns from both of us, and white's queen in the middle of the board.  Not quite what I wanted from a questionable opening for white... I still won the game though =p.

Once again, the first couple moves were (I was black) ...

1. e4 c5 (sicilian defense(

2. e5?! Nc6

I forget what happened from there.  It wasn't an online game and I typically don't record casual games such as this one.  What's a good black defense for this white opening?

I have just checked out your ratings at various speeds.  You are strong enough to punish this inferior move at the board.  It is not something that needs to be prepared for.  After White has wasted a developing move, given up control of f5, d5 and the White squares in general, and offered Black a target for pawn levers you are hardly looking at "defence"!

It is simply inferior for White. He has at least half a dozen good alternatives yet chooses this blooper!  You just have to avoid being tricked into transposing into the Advance French.

this was years ago when he was 1000 rating roughly. Now his rating is much higher, and he does not have this issue anymore as said in his 2nd post I believe.