Forums

I suck against 2.Bc4

Sort:
Kaaak

Please give me some hints how to play, black is next move. I have allways trouble with 2.Bc4 although i play by the book with ... 2. Nf3, im never finding any good solution.

Help with something, how to stop that Bishop to threaten.

Kaaak

In this game i played f5, but also with full troubles if played Nf6...i just dont get that opening. When white is moving Q out and then also other Bishop, im usually down a lot.

aansel

Why play ...f5--what is wrong with 2....Nf6 developing a piece to a  good square?

pvmike

yeah 2...Nf6 best it develops a pieces with an attack

Kaaak

Ok that f5 was a bit of experimenting, in game explorer also f5 is not bad option. But my best problem is playing Nf6 and also have a lot of troubles with Q and other bishop, threatening me after my small castling.

aansel

With ..Nf6 Where is White going to move the Queen that is threatening anything. Development is step one to get out of the opening successfully. I hate saying this but as a generalization for Black an earlh ...f6 or ...f5 is almost never good (unless you know how to play the Latvian Gambit)--f6 is where the Knight belongs and it is a developing move. You are scared of ghosts that don't exisit.

atomichicken

Is that Knight supposed to be at f3 not h3?

Stevereti

I often play 2.Bc4 as white. A good way for Black to reply is 2...Nf3 and if white tries 3.d4 then 3...Nc3 is pretty safe leading to a 2 knights game. If Black can then develop and castle, it's even.

ty4playing
Stevereti wrote:

I often play 2.Bc4 as white. A good way for Black to reply is 2...Nf3 and if white tries 3.d4 then 3...Nc3 is pretty safe leading to a 2 knights game. If Black can then develop and castle, it's even.

I think he means 2... Nf6 and 3... Nc6.

horcrux

Another solution is not to play defenses you don't know.

Head_Hunter

3...Nf6 is your best continuation. This protects against White's threat of Qh5+. Don't be too afraid of 4. Ng5, because you have 4...d5! As compensation for the sacrificed pawn, Black's development after this move will be quite easy, and eventually White will pay for violating opening rules (don't move the same piece twice in the opening). I also suggest you look up the Traxler Counterattack.

aansel

There is nothing wrong with 2. Bc4--but there are plenty of choices that Black has to get a good game. In the position that started this thread Nh3 can not be good for White.

LoneWolfEburg

Kaaak's Online Chess rating is 1627? Wow, that's much better then I would expect after reading the OP.

Kaaak

Thanx guys, i know its very basic question, but i really do have a lot of problems with that bishop. After castling my left side is too vulnerable. I found a lot of useful advices, now i have to try it in game.

"Is that Knight supposed to be at f3 not h3?"

That knight was on h3 and totaly mislead me to make mistake to get me in mate in 3... What should be next move after that Nh3 to make tough defense, g3?

"Another solution is not to play defenses you don't know."

I agree, but i really like to play as much as different situations to learn something new out of it.

atomichicken
Kaaak wrote:

Thanx guys, i know its very basic question, but i really do have a lot of problems with that bishop. After castling my left side is too vulnerable. I found a lot of useful advices, now i have to try it in game.

"Is that Knight supposed to be at f3 not h3?"

That knight was on h3 and totaly mislead me to make mistake to get me in mate in 3... What should be next move after that Nh3 to make tough defense, g3?

"Another solution is not to play defenses you don't know."

I agree, but i really like to play as much as different situations to learn something new out of it.

Oh, I presumed it must have been a mistake and the Knight should be on f3 in your diagram.. But if one of your opponents played 2. Nh3? against you then I can't see anything wrong with 3. Nf6. Anyway, it's not really worth studying how to play against such crazy moves. Unless you're playing against absolute beginners you shouldn't come up against them much..

kaichess

I agree with aanset: Nf6

Daniel3

2...Nf6 3.d4 exd4 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.Qxd4 Nf6 6.Bg5 Be7 7.Nc3 Nc6 gives White a small advantage. However, Black's defence can still hold; all things considered, analysts have recommended 2...Nf6 as the strongest continuation for Black.

Kaaak

What about after 3.Qf3...

Scarblac

@Kaaak: could you show a whole game that you lost against 2.Bc4? Preferably with 2...Nf6, since that should be easiest to play.

Then we can see what went wrong.

Kaaak
Kaaak wrote:

What about after 3.Qf3...

Its funny, that there is no such a game in Master games archive, so 3.Qf3 must be bad move, but i dont find good soulution,.