Forums

if i wanted to learn kings indian, which book should i read?

Sort:
fanofjapan

a really good book, wich offers good understanding and deep knowledge of the opening

bobzogby

Think and Grow Rich.

MrBlunderful_closed

"CM" Streetfighter's spam book on how to win friends and influence people is bound to have some KID info in it someplace.

fanofjapan
pfren wrote:

Mastering the Kings Indian (Bellin and Ponzetto) is a good start.

thank you verry much, but 200 pages seem a bit short for a kings indian books... you are sure it good?? because then ill buy it

fanofjapan
MrBlunderful wrote:

"CM" Streetfighter's spam book on how to win friends and influence people is bound to have some KID info in it someplace.

well i dont need no cm book for that, if i wanted to manipulate people ill force drugs into them for 12 years against they will..

kwaloffer

Does anyone have opinions on Bronstein on the King's Indian? I'm also getting ready to buy some KID books.

As Bellin and Ponzetto's is only 7 euro at the second hand bookstore I'll buy them at, that will definitely be included, thanks (200 pages of chess book to study, that's months of work).

Splane

I learned to play the King's Indian from Levy's book on Gligoric. Highly recommended. Unfortunately the lines are all 40 years out-of-date.

fanofjapan
pfren wrote:
fanofjapan wrote:
ßpfren wrote:

Mastering the Kings Indian (Bellin and Ponzetto) is a good start.

thank you verry much, but 200 pages seem a bit short for a kings indian books... you are sure it good?? because then ill buy it

There is no real "theory" in it. Just the typical KID pawn structures, and the various positional attacking and defending ideas, as well as prose abut the most common endgame patterns of the KID.

You will definitely need some time to absorb these 200 pages- witout that knowledge there is no point memorizing theoretical variations.

The best repertoire book on the KID I'm aware of is recent (Bologan), but it's not suitable for players rated under 2000.

thx a lot.. i already played with the idea of buying bologan.. but im under 2000 lol... but shame you cant buy mastering the kid not inn germany...

Bubatz

I'd recommend Joe Gallagher's book about the King's Indian in the "Starting Out" series of Everyman Chess. It has only 176 pages, still it is a good book to start. His later book "Play the King's Indian" is even better, even though I hate the small font which was chosen to fit it on 205 pages. 

Ambassador_Spock

I've heard the Bronstein one is pretty good, but I haven't read it yet.  I definitely give "Mastering the King's Indian" two thumbs up.  It divides the opening into 10 chapters on types of "centers" instead of variations.  Then it breaks them down into typical strategic and tactical themes.  Anyone interested in playing this opening on a team is encouraged to join the group 1.d4 Nf6 Indians.

electricjellyfish

attacking chess kings Indian defence vol 1&2 are both good books

Ambassador_Spock

I finally got a chance to read the Bronstein book (in spanish though).  It had a similar concept to the Bellin and Ponzetto book for learning the KID. 

I've seen dozens of other KID opening books with just reams and reams of theory with little or no explanation.   The little prose these books contain are probably the most useful parts for someone below 2000.  Otherwise, they may be used as just reference books.

CongratsOnYourLoss

I am 1900, and I have read Bologan's book, it is very weird. I recommend Kotronias's volumes or Dejan Bojkov's book

ModestAndPolite

With a 1200 rating the King's Indian is probably not the best opening to choose to develop your chess abilities, and all the books I know of are aimed way above that level.  But if you insist then there is nothing better than the "ancient" book b y Bellin and Pnzetto for explaining the basic ideas.

However, I don't think that book gives you enough to actually play the opening successfully.  So I am with Bubatz and my recommendation is Joe Gallagher's "Play the King's Indian" (Everyman Chess).   It was published in 2004, so if you are playing at a high level you'll need to supplement it with some research in databases and/or Bologan's more difficult book.  But Gallagher explains the ideas of the various systems very well and has chosen some very instructive illustrative games.  It is more than up-to-date enough for most players.  And Gallagher is a real afficionado of the King's Indian, plays the opening himself, and has had variations named after him, so the advice and recommendations are properly battle tested, unlike many of the potboilers on openings that are out there.  He is enthusiastic about the KID, he believes in it, and it shows.

Its only drawback is that it is a repertoire book.  It is fine for Black, so long as you are happy with the lines he recommends, but it is not comprehensive enough to prepare for the KID as White.

There is a pair of old Batsford books by Geller (From the 1970's I Believe).  One book covers lines with a White king's side fianchetto, and one covers all the other lines.  The variations are (mostly) hopelessly outdated, but they are useful for understanding the history of the opening.  If you do not know about lines that are no longer played then some of the modern varaitions make no sense.

Finally, Gligorich wrote a book on just the Mar del Plata variation.  It too is out of date, but it is very instructive.

benonidoni

I'd go with quality chess publications. They are excellent

Everyman books is good also