Forums

Is anything better for me than the Parham?

Sort:
The_Gavinator

? In lines involving the queen white dominates, in lines involving Nh6 white dominates, and white is still good main.

gambiteer12

Doesn't look like white dominates in any line to me.

The_Gavinator

that's because dummies usually play this, going for 4 move mate. There are many other attacks other than 4 move mate, and if you are prepared white can be dominant.

ChessWithoutPants
The_Gavinator wrote:

that's because dummies usually play this, going for 4 move mate. There are many other attacks other than 4 move mate, and if you are prepared white can be dominant.

You're a 1200.  That's from a master database.

The_Gavinator

actually it's not...

whatupyodog

IM pfren i wont lie, you are pretty cool, but the parham pwns as well as the qsfl.

Ben_Dubuque

whatup, chess.com has already proven the Qsfl a horrific mistake right down to Bf4 on move three

sanan22

I think white's best chance to get a sharp position after 1.e4 e5.

is the scotch.. you have to keep in mind that the theory serves black as he will get a comfortable position out of the opening if he knows some theory

ChessWithoutPants
sanan22 wrote:

I think white's best chance to get a sharp position after 1.e4 e5.

is the scotch.. you have to keep in mind that the theory serves black as he will get a comfortable position out of the opening if he knows some theory

Whereas black gets a virtual win out of the opening if he knows the theory on Qh5.

Or a mere =/+ if he is merely competent.

Or = as long as he doesn't outright blunder.

The_Gavinator

None of you all have played this, so I don't think you have the right to criticize this. I've heard the scotch from many people, how would you keep it farily aggressive after the Mieses Variation (4...Nf6).

waffllemaster
The_Gavinator wrote:

yeah those you listed are sound, and perfect for drawing...

People have enjoyed chess for centuries because it's a very rich and complex game.  Even titled players, or I should say, especially titled players wont dismiss openings like the Ruy as drawish or boring.  Chess is not easy even for world champions, it's certainly not easy for people like you and me.

There is much more to evaluating chess positions, winning chances, advantages, etc than direct attacks.  Until you're comfortable with that idea, I don't think diving into any opening is good (much less enjoyable) for you.  It would be best to stick with the pharem (which isn't terrible, so don't jump on me people :)

In the meantime don't stop playing and work though a book like Understanding Chess Move by Move (Nunn), Logical Chess Move by Move (Chernev), or The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played (also by Chernev).  This doesn't have to be work, it can be a lot of fun, take a whole year and pick up the book every now and then, and play a lot of games.  (The books show complete master games and give lots of good comments throughout the games, including opening, middle, and endgame).

Because as it is, IMO, you're not asking the right questions.  Seems you view advantage strictly as a function of piece count, and who has immediate (1 or 2 move) threats.  So not only will memorizing, say, the Scotch for example, not really help you, but it won't be satisfying at all because none of the moves attack directly.

The_Gavinator

Yes, but at the grandmaster level, games are decided by the slightest slip. At ours, they are by major tactical errors.

waffllemaster

Very true!  But during a game vs a peer, I make every effort to store up any small advantage I can.  "Tactics flow from a superior position" and it's a lot easier to find a tactic when your pieces are well placed vs trying to find one when you're always on the defensive or in a bind.

-------------

If you want to study tactics, that will make you better and can be a lot of fun too.  I don't think trying to learn the Scotch for example will be much benefit (or fun) to you.  Just IMO.

The_Gavinator

Everyone makes errors, but at the highest level they are incredibly slight, at ours they can be major. An aggressive opening would be better to, exploit the errors, or make my opponent more likely to make them. The Parham is shaky ground, black can get through it solidly, but a small error will cost them the game.

waffllemaster

So I say go for it.  I don't think it's nearly as bad as a lot of these people are saying.  I believe it essentially loses a tempo for no reason, and I think it's important to recognize that.  But that recognized, as you say these small advantages don't win games for amateur players.

Now it's my advice that you do yourself every favor you can, because "it doesn't kill me" is a lousy justification for a move.

And that's about as hard as I'll be on the pharem, otherwise I completely agree, and I say (again) if you like it, play it.  The most important thing is to keep playing and learning about the game.  Memorizing the Scotch or Sicilian, or Ruy etc won't be beneficial (in the short term) or fun.

whatupyodog

You know whats better than the parham? The Waite-Harrison attack.

Ben_Dubuque

Most people on this site proved that it is just outright silly, with the move that stops it. 3. ... c5

The_Gavinator

its not silly, just not aggressive unless 3...Nc6

beardogjones

Mr. Gavinator, its your life and if you want to play the Parham -

go for it.

DrSpudnik

No. There is nothing better for you than the Parham. It is your destiny to be the #1 practitioner of this grand opening. Lead the way to a glorious future of lost tempi and misplaced pieces!!

This forum topic has been locked