Forums

King's Bishop Gambit???

Sort:
ccarey99

I made up the name, if you were wondering. It goes 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nc6 3. d3 Bc5 4. f4

I've looked everywhere I can and can't any game that uses this opening, which is a bit odd, since I think it's a very interesting line. I used it in a few games, with pretty good results. The key is to attack the kingside, and not stop. Here is a game in which a mouse slip cost me my queen, and the attack still went through.

Thoughts??? I have another game I can show if anyone wants.

batgirl
interesting...
billwall
It's been played in Hoogeboom-Benning, Netherlands 1996 and Vlassov-Pimenta, France 1996.  Probably in other games as well.
vinodagnihotri

Good combination in the end. But, I must say that Black played some really bad moves along the way... 

ccarey99
Well, I know, but I think the idea is pretty solid. And bill, thanks for the games, I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough.Smile
piemonkeydude
preety nice game
Etienne
22. Rh8 Nxh8 32. Rf8++ was more elegant Wink
ccarey99
True, but it's mate one way or the other.Smile
fair_and_equal
  Nice game. And Bill whats it called
Bonzlibir
That's rare. But I have seen it played in a tournament twice.
sk8erkid
vinodagnihotri wrote:

Good combination in the end. But, I must say that Black played some really bad moves along the way... 

ya

FerrusKG
Good game. But why did you call it "King's Bishop Gambit"? I didn't see any pawn sacrifice in the beginning...
wetland154

that was good but black did make some bad moves in the end

ccarey99
Kingskiller wrote: Good game. But why did you call it "King's Bishop Gambit"? I didn't see any pawn sacrifice in the beginning...

It looks like a combination of the Bishop's Opening and the King's Gambit Declined.

TonightOnly

Etienne,

Rf8 would be checkmate!? 

chaoschakra
very interesting thought ive never heard of it
TonightOnly

ccarey99,

Sorry, but this is already the name of an opening:

1. e4 e5  2. f4 exf4  3. Bc4

Your game is just a line of the Bishop's opening. The moves f4, c4, f5, and c5 are played in many games in an attempt to remove a central presence, in just the way you did. It is not a gambit until you sacrifice the pawn. You just offered a pawn trade.

In the 90's, the Polgars made somewhat of a fad out of the King's Bishop's Gambit. This is still a popular line at club level.

ccarey99
tonightonly7 wrote:

ccarey99,

Sorry, but this is already the name of an opening:

1. e4 e5  2. f4 exf4  3. Bc4

Your game is just a line of the Bishop's opening. The moves f4, c4, f5, and c5 are played in many games in an attempt to remove a central presence, in just the way you did. It is not a gambit until you sacrifice the pawn. You just offered a pawn trade.

In the 90's, the Polgars made somewhat of a fad out of the King's Bishop's Gambit. This is still a popular line at club level.

Wouldn't the move order you listed make it a variation of the King's Gambit? And I wasn't trying to invent a new opening, I just didn't know what to call it. Smile

TWE

Would´nt this move weaken the kings position if one castled on the kingside?

TheOldReb
The Kings Bishop Gambit is : 1e4 e5  2f4 exf4  3Bc4  (3Nf3 is the kings knights gambit) and yes , both are variants of the kings gambit . Your opening is actually the bishop's opening .