Forums

Let's Play: Rank the Bad Opening!

Sort:
ozzie_c_cobblepot
Fiveofswords wrote:

parham, englund, traxler, haloween, albin, budapest, cochrane 

I dont understand why you would rate parham highly...i always respond 2...nf6

Curious - I thought the Parham was 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 -- so isn't 2...Nf6 a blunder because of 3.Qxe5+

?

Scottrf
[COMMENT DELETED]
Scottrf

Not really a blunder, a sac. I don't see the need to sac a pawn against that opening though. But black will get quite a development lead.

blueemu
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:
Fiveofswords wrote:

parham, englund, traxler, haloween, albin, budapest, cochrane 

I dont understand why you would rate parham highly...i always respond 2...nf6

Curious - I thought the Parham was 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 -- so isn't 2...Nf6 a blunder because of 3.Qxe5+

?

In the 365chess online database, 2. ... Nf6 actually has a higher winning percentage for Black than 2. ... Nc6.

MetalRatel

FM Dennis Monokroussos has recommended 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Nf6!?:

http://www.chessvideos.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5912

It's cute, but maybe a bit unnecessary.

Also interesting is 2.Qh5 Nc6 3.Bc4 g6 4.Qf3 f5!?. Hint: Taking the pawn is probably dubious.

Naturally, 4...Nf6 is a simple and strong response. It can be instructive for beginners to see why 5.Qb3? Nd4!-+ is losing.

If you like to be creative, 2...d6 also scores well. Black can develop the knight to d7 and play ...c6 with ideas of ...b5 or ...d5.

There a lot of good ideas. Just don't get too creative or overambitious. Let White do that and prepare to reap the rewards. :)

happyface79

I really don't understand how the albin or Budapest can even be considered bad openings. Many players win and lose with them. It all depends on how experienced each player is with each opening.

MetalRatel
happyface79 wrote:

I really don't understand how the albin or Budapest can even be considered bad openings. Many players win and lose with them. It all depends on how experienced each player is with each opening.

Well a few spoilsports like to win more than lose...

ozzie_c_cobblepot

I don't know that database winning percentages are terribly useful when comparing these openings, because of the selection bias involved.

My guess is that the Parham is completely equal for black immediately, but no better.

At least until Carlsen plays it haha

minor7b5

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/help-support/bughouse-and-live-960