Forums

Majority of study openings: white or black?

Sort:
jimmerstoopy

Was wondering which side do you study for openings more?

Seems like its been about 3/4 of my opening studies are focusing on black.

How about you guys/gals?

ilgambittoo

Both sides.

New_Member24

A very popular method for opening study I've seen is to focus a bit more on the black side than the white side. The idea is that, when white, you can channel the game more often into safer channels when you don't know the theory, and because you know a bit of black theory you won't often get blasted in the the opening.

jimmerstoopy

That's sorta what I figured about studying more black...

New_Member24

You could also make the case for the reverse i.e. study more of your white repetoire than black. In this scenario, you're hoping to press your first move advantage more and are just hoping to bunker down and defend as black. Probably just a preferential thing when choosing one or the other.

Swindlers_List

I have a slightly odd OTB strategy, I focus on black and try to win all my games there (havnt lost a rated OTB game as black yet), while as white I play very safe lines and just draw.

DrSpudnik

I haven't had time to study openings for years now. (Plus it's boring.) I just play what I know more or less & look up the blunders to try to avoid them in future games.

JMB2010
AssauIt wrote:

I have a slightly odd OTB strategy, I focus on black and try to win all my games there (havnt lost a rated OTB game as black yet), while as white I play very safe lines and just draw.

interesting...

Swindlers_List
JMB2010 wrote:
AssauIt wrote:

interesting...

yeah, I feel like a bit of a patzer (I am) but truth is, black is just easier to play at sub GM I think. +0.30 advantage means much less to me than knowling the opening better than my opponent does.

QueenTakesKnightOOPS

As White you have more control over where the opening goes, as black you have to choose a defense according to what white plays so it stands to reason that black openings will get more study.... at least for those of us who aren't competing for the world championship.

For a start black has to have a counter for whites 2 most popular moves d4 & e4 whereas White can play d4 every time if he wants.

JMB2010
AssauIt wrote:
JMB2010 wrote:
AssauIt wrote:

interesting...

yeah, I feel like a bit of a patzer (I am) but truth is, black is just easier to play at sub GM I think. +0.30 advantage means much less to me than knowling the opening better than my opponent does.

That actually does make a lot of sense.