Forums

official chess.com opening topics/groups

Sort:
Or_theBashaKiller

Hey there ,

I think there should be a chess.com official topic/group for every major opening line (for start) .

the reason behing this is there should be a topic where people can post question regarding a specific opening line and also where links to videos and other theoretical stuff should be included (recommendation for books , video lectures etc... )  and also there should be sticky topic as an index for all of those official topics.

as things are now there are simply too many questions topics and groups for each opening line which makes it very hard to actually benefit from them.

i suggest an official chess.com topic and group for each major opening line .

vshcherbinin97

There are already a number of groups that deal with specific openings, lines and etc. It just takes a while to find, but they are there. 

Or_theBashaKiller
Vas87thRD wrote:

There are already a number of groups that deal with specific openings, lines and etc. It just takes a while to find, but they are there. 

that's what i mean... it takes a while to find if at all and if your'e lucky you will find a quality group ,  official topics will change that .

all you have to do is just go to the official topic which can be find instantly through the sticky topic and there you will find links to all known groups for this opening line  (group admins will add themself in the topic ) .  you will also find some general information about the opening and other usefull stuff. also , all question regarding this opening would be in the topic alone  .

TheBigDecline
Or_theBashaKiller wrote:
Vas87thRD wrote:

that's what i mean... it takes a while to find if at all and if your'e lucky you will find a quality group ,  official topics will change that .

all you have to do is just go to the official topic which can be find instantly through the sticky topic and there you will find links to all known groups for this opening line  (group admins will add themself in the topic ) .  you will also find some general information about the opening and other usefull stuff. also , all question regarding this opening would be in the topic alone  .

Your proposing something which would take an awful amount of work for a problem everyone can solve in literally just a couple of moments. 

http://www.chess.com/chessgroups

Type in the name of your opening and they all will instantly pop up (if there are any). At most there are like 3 or 4 different groups to each thematic line; just choose the one which seems the most promising and there you go.

EDIT: Take a look in here as well!

http://www.chess.com/openings/

Or_theBashaKiller
TheBigDecline wrote:
Or_theBashaKiller wrote:
Vas87thRD wrote:

Your proposing something which would take an awful amount of work for a problem everyone can solve in literally just a couple of moments. 

http://www.chess.com/chessgroups

Type in the name of your opening and they all will instantly pop up (if there are any). At most there are like 3 or 4 different groups to each thematic line; just choose the one which seems the most promising and there you go.

I know those ... i just find the group search option and the comments in the openings completely unuseful . sure , if you want to learn an opening by 3-4 moves that's perfect but when you go deep into variations , specific attacking plans and some deep lines it just wont do. please guys , don't propose me the group search option , i know about it and as i wrote in my first post i just think it's not good enough .

ghostofmaroczy

Or_theBashaKiller, I understand why you desire quick access to specific opening information organized into sections.  But that would require an authoritative editor to manage the system.  

Also, one problem that could arise is the following: What about when someone makes a comparison between two opening lines?  Which section would you place the information under?  For example, if someone spoke about Bent Larsen's Zoom001 Repertoire of Catalan and Grunfeld, where would that post be located?  And the Catalan--is that 1 d4 d5 or Indian?  You see, it's both.

Or_theBashaKiller
ghostofmaroczy wrote:

Or_theBashaKiller, I understand why you desire quick access to specific opening information organized into sections.  But that would require an authoritative editor to manage the system.  

Also, one problem that could arise is the following: What about when someone makes a comparison between two opening lines?  Which section would you place the information under?  For example, if someone spoke about Bent Larsen's Zoom001 Repertoire of Catalan and Grunfeld, where would that post be located?  And the Catalan--is that 1 d4 d5 or Indian?  You see, it's both.

I don't say you can't get flexible about things ...

yes , an official topic require a local moderator that will take care of maintenance . that been said , it's totaly worth it .

take a look at this forum  ...

most of the questions here are relvant to low rated players  ...

i mean , most questions here can be answered by wikipedia ,youtube or any other general source .

ghostofmaroczy

Or_theBashaKiller, Perhaps the information in these forums is just fine.  Could it be that the problem is the poor thread titles and the lack of tags by which to search? 

Or_theBashaKiller
ghostofmaroczy wrote:

Or_theBashaKiller, Perhaps the information in these forums is just fine.  Could it be that the problem is the poor thread titles and the lack of tags by which to search? 

perhaps ... all i know is right now i found this forum very unuseful to me in terms of learning from other people posts .

ghostofmaroczy

This site is still young.  Perhaps we are at the stage of generating questions and answers and the day will come when someone will organize the forums in the way you described.  Submit a ticket if you want anything to be done.

Martin_Stahl
TheBigDecline wrote:

If you look at the link, there is a comment section there for each opening. That would allow everything you are asking for and it is already set up.