Forums

Peculiar Opening

Sort:
qqrnprn

Irontiger, after 5...Bd6 what will answer black to 6.Nc3( defending e4 pawn) with intention 7.d4 ?

Irontiger
qqrnprn wrote:

Irontiger, after 5...Bd6 what will answer black to 6.Nc3( defending e4 pawn) with intention 7.d4 ?

Oops. Nothing, indeed (maybe it's playable, but not close to the other variant).

I mixed up the lines with 5...Nxe4 6.0-0 Nxf2 7.Rxf2 Bd6 (which has killed a central pawn).

Sorry...

qqrnprn

White stay good after 9.0-0 ( instead of 9.Nc3 ) and black can't castle ( at least - not immediately )

batgirl
melvinbluestone wrote:

This is really getting ridiculous! It's bad enough that after all these centuries, the King's Gambit, the most suspicious opening in all of chessdom, has never been satisfactorily refuted (or 'busted' as Bobby put it). Now, on top of that, this absurd knight move may not only be sound..... it might be good!? Ay caramba!

I'm not sure the KG in itself is suspect, but this opening, as it defies some many chess axioms, certainly is.  However, like some other odd openings, proving it isn't as easy as it first seems.  There have been more good ideas here than I expected and I'm grateful for them all. 

batgirl

I wasn't being so serious either but just wanted to emphasize the difference between the KG main lines and KG offshoots.

batgirl

Here is my article on the Eisenberg Gambit.  Thanks everyone.

qqrnprn
melvinbluestone wrote:

@qqrnprn:  9.O-O looks pretty good, but it's not all beer and skittles for white after 12.d4. I'm not so sure the queen can just charge off to black's queenside and try to wreak havoc without significant consequences......

Melvinbluestone, the things are going nice in your example for black , but 13.Re1 isn't the best white's move. I suggest 13.Bxf4 .

qqrnprn

Yes, i think, it is playable for white and black too. White can try also 14.g3