Forums

Ponziani: Impractical in non-computer Correspondence Chess?

Sort:
najdorf96

You know, I told myself I wouldn't be baited into another pointless discussion with btickler, as his comments basically hi-jacked this thread. It's not a resolution but I will still respect the OP. Just let me say this to him though..

btickler, as you haven't refuted the points I'd made to hicetunc, even through links, I don't owe you anything. Period.

As far as my heritage. I've been dealing with that all my life thankyouveddymuch. I only mentioned it because I'd rather characterize myself than be compared to being a peasant in feudal England, playing Space Invaders using Amber monitors (though monochromed would've been more accurate) and just because I'm not as Google savvy as you, I don't have the faintest idea of what I'm talking about in MY on post.

I'll not lower myself to your level. I'd always contradicted your points, not you. Through common sense and stuff I do know to be true. Not fuzzy. Demeaning opinions of me are not "irrefutable" points. Get over yourself.

Nuff said. Happy New Year anyways.

DiogenesDue
shkrelis_nemesis wrote:
kantifields wrote:

Please take this conversation to an appropriately title forum.  Thanks.

At this point I think you might have to (temporarily?) block the antagonizers (SmyslovFan, btickler) and those defending themselves (myself, najdorf96), because I know I for one am going to continue to defend myself against btickler in particular.

Nice that you'd like the block now that you've had another round ;), but I had no intention of continuing past the single post I made after Kant's request.  

I've already proven my point, and until you draw Stockfish/Droidfish at 25-30 ply, with all other settings also set appropriately (no opening book shenanigans, etc.), you have nothing.  End of story. 

P.S. For an even contest, you also need to turn Ponder on as well as using the exact same time/move.

congrandolor

It looks horrible to me for white, the king exposed in the centre of the board, while his colleague is comfortably smoking a cigar behind his army. But, why not give it a try once?

kantifields
mecuelgalapieza wrote:

It looks horrible to me for white, the king exposed in the centre of the board, while his colleague is comfortably smoking a cigar behind his army. But, why not give it a try once?

A little one sided analysis; black has given up two pieces.

VLaurenT
btickler wrote:
shkrelis_nemesis wrote:
kantifields wrote:

Please take this conversation to an appropriately title forum.  Thanks.

At this point I think you might have to (temporarily?) block the antagonizers (SmyslovFan, btickler) and those defending themselves (myself, najdorf96), because I know I for one am going to continue to defend myself against btickler in particular.

Nice that you'd like the block now that you've had another round ;), but I had no intention of continuing past the single post I made after Kant's request.  

I've already proven my point, and until you draw Stockfish/Droidfish at 25-30 ply, with all other settings also set appropriately (no opening book shenanigans, etc.), you have nothing.  End of story. 

P.S. For an even contest, you also need to turn Ponder on as well as using the exact same time/move.

Your contradictor has just been banned for cheating on chess.com, so I guess it will add some extra weight on your side of the argument...

http://www.chess.com/home/game_archive?sortby=&show=live&member=shkrelis_nemesis

DiogenesDue

hicetnunc wrote:

Your contradictor has just been banned for cheating on chess.com, so I guess it will add some extra weight on your side of the argument...

Ahhh, sweet karma... ;)

najdorf96

Indeed. Karma. Cool. More on that later.

Kanti and ponz have both shown, through examples of their games & intimate knowledge that they know the Ponziani as black or white. It's not even an issue of ponz's authority, level of play in this opening. It's already documented.

Details of engine use is a non-starter. I made my comment based on my own opinion in general. Anyone with a problem should, like the OP said, contribute in the appropriate forums. I don't know anything about the goings on, nor do I have to, to comment. I said what I said simply because I truly believe "objectivity in the opening is always a Human thing".

najdorf96

I do believe playing the Ponziani in Online Chess or correspondence is practical. I'm thinking of implementing it. Against the Fraser, I just have to strive for the draw. Which is possible as some players know the analysis but are equally not in their element. Despite engine use. I'm assured by chess.com I needn't worry about such things.

I stand by my post to hice.

najdorf96

I do my own research through books. I imagine some reading this are in shock. Heh. I just think what I do is hardcore compared to you software junkies. Heaven forbid if there is an AI takeover. Heh. Karma. Anyways.

Euwe, in his great "book" (circa 1963 McKay) stated this;

Chess Masters vs. Chess Amateur, Game 5, pg. 43

(a) 4 Q-R4

(a4) 4. ... P-B3 (solid and best, but against all.principles because it takes the natural square from the Black KN)

5. B-N5 N-K2 6. PxP QxP 7. P-Q4 B-Q2 8.O-O PxP 9. PxP N-K4! 10. BxBch QxB (with an even game).

Yet, in Chess Openings: Theory and Practice (by I.A. Horowitz circa 1964) Unusual King Pawn Games, pg. 227

Ponziani's Opening Game 1

Euwe-Speyer, Exhibition game, Gouda 1921

We see Euwe punishing his opponent in 39 moves.

In fact, Reuben Fine stated in his Immortal book,

The Ideas Behind the Chess Openings, Third Edition (1991)

[1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. c3 d5 4. Qa4]

"4. Bd7 is also playable, but 4. ... f6 5. Bb5 Ne7 6. exd5 Qxe5 7. d4! is inferior because White has all the initiative."

How true. In my own investigations, my NCO rates this line as equal, though MCO-14 goes further in note (s), pg. 133

[(A) 7. ... Bd7 8. Be3{!} exd4 9. cxd4 Ne5 10. Nc3 Nxf3+ 11. gxf3 Qf5 12. O-O-O a6 13. d5 +- Maas-Mitchell, London 1912{!}]

najdorf96

Happy New Year Cloud!!!

As it is, some here have mentioned the NCO doesn't even mention the Fraser line, MCO-14 dubbed it as "winning" for White. True. John Nunn strove, in his work (with three other GM's) to essentially strip various lines deemed "obsolete" soo I'm assuming he thought it as a dead end as far as theory was concerned. Funnily, Walter Korn as editor with Nick deFirmian collaborating in MCO-13, Ponziani's Opening, pg. 129

[1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. c3 Nf6 4. d4 Nxe4 5. d5 Bc5{!?} 6. dxc6 Bxf2+ 7. Ke2 bxc6 8. Qa4 f5 9. Nbd2 O-O 10. Nxe4 fxe4 11. Qxe4 Bb6(k)]

(k) After 12. Kd1 d5 13. Qxe5 Bf5 Black's attack should be enough for his sacrificed piece.

But Nick, with complete authorship, backtracked and noted in MCO-14:

pg. 132

(a) 12. Kd2 d6 13. Bd3 Bf5 14. Qxc6+- from the game, Hector-Sandstrom, Copenhagen 1991.

I actually did my own analysis (whoa no engine? Ghastly)

Why 12. ... d6? Just because Kd2 supports Bd3, doesn't mean Black still can't play ... d5. If 13. Qxe5 Bf5, then 14. Bd3. I think 14. ... Qd7 still holds all the trumps. I could go on but I think you get the gist.

congrandolor

So what is the veredict in 2020 with stronger engines?