Forums

Ponziani Opening

Sort:
ponz111

Yes, 9. Nc3  but I would not play  6. Bc4 either and we avoided that line in our vote chess games.

However Carlsen is playing a line very similar to what Pfren suggested against 6. Bc4  which goes to show both  Pfren and Carlsen think much alike at least in this particular variation!

ponz111

While this opening variation will come down in flames--I am kinda glad it was played as I have analyzed it a little. 

ponz111

You are correct that the variation 6. Bc4 is a bad variation and that is why we have abandoned that variation in our little group. [or I should say we never even started rather than "abandoned"]

We have seen 3 games in a row where in the variations White chose inferior lines by these super grandmasters.  Maybe some day we will get lucky and they will play the better theory lines in these particular variations. 

ponz111

The problem with sometimes playing an opening such as the Ponziani is there is no way they can know the latest and best theory.  They play it apparently as a gamble as the other guy will not know the best theory also. 

[other girl in this case]

Scottrf

Was the girl who played it.

ponz111

She put up a good fight but in a bad position especially after the e6 really bad move.

C-nack

Yeah. Grandmasters like to gamble with openings. Van Wely played Nimzo-Indian today against Sokolov who just wrote the book about this opening. And he won! xD

ajmeroski

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27cvLgwiWQ Carlsen's analyse of today's game

Scottrf

Thanks aj.

ponz111

One problem with writing a book on an opening variation is that other masters or grandmasters or supergrandmasters can look at the whole book and if they find one flaw....

C-nack
ponz111 wrote:

One problem with writing a book on an opening variation is that other masters or grandmasters or supergrandmasters can look at the whole book and if they find one flaw....

Van Wely said he was thinking of buying the move but he thought it may uncover his plans to use that opening.

ponz111

RE Carlsen

Watching his interview and watching his moves. This guy has a chess mind like some kind of a super chess engine.  I am amazed how he is willing to discuss such a complex game in detail and give variation after variation right on the spot when asked after the game.  And he is so quick when discussing long/hard/complex lines--just like a super computer. 

He is a boon to the chess world in that he is willing to give such an interview.  I am starting to think he is or may be the best player of all time.

Scottrf

'A year from, 2900 or world champion?'

'Both'.

'How would you assess your play so far?'

'It's OK, nothing more, but certainly nothing less.'

C-nack

Ponz, Super-GMs are like this. If you want to feel impressed further watch these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRjs7e6B8w (time - 0:22, amazing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVcpelqT_Dw

ponz111

And he is honest!

Scottrf

Ha, that Leko interview reminds me of this one, but the Leko one is even better actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVfPIhlZw4U

ponz111

Vote Chess Game Just Finishing

ponz111

Jempty   Because you say the Ponziani throws away White's advantage at the top does not mean the Ponziani throws away White's advantage at the top.

I have the right to sometimes post a good Ponziani game on this thread . There are plenty of people who will parrot others and just say the Ponziani is a bad opening and now there are more and more people who realize the real potential of the Ponziani Opening.

You posting some obscure line is not an anology to the Ponziani Opening.

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

Jempty, doesn't black equalize instantly with d5?  you have to trade pawns, next you're looking at Be6 and another move of the queen.  You can't threaten anything on the queenside because the queen is blocking any threat the bishop might make at b5.  

Scottrf
FirebrandX wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

'A year from, 2900 or world champion?'

'Both'.

'How would you assess your play so far?'

'It's OK, nothing more, but certainly nothing less.'

I noticed Nakamura has this OCD thing with saying "It is what it is". Seems every post-game interview he says this now.

Yes, every time. He can't finish an interview without it.