Forums

Pre-moving 1... d5?

Sort:
Shai_Ziv

Hey guys,

Lately I thought about pre-moving the first move for black in short games (1-2 min).
As I'm not a fan of the sicilian 1... c5 is not an option.
1... Nf6  is bad as 1. e4 Nf6 is very hard to cope with in short games.

So I thought about 1... d5, considering the 6 most popular first moves for white:
1. e4, 1. d4, 1. Nf3, 1. c4, 1.g3 and 1. f4

I like the scandinavian, so 1. e4 d5 is OK.
1... d5 is the most popular response for 1.g3 and 1. f4
And the second most popular for 1. d4 and 1. Nf3
(From the opening book and in my games too) 

The only problem might be 1. c4, in which case 1... d5 gives up a center pawn and makes white's life a little easier, even though I never recapture with the queen so there are no tempo gainers.

So, what do you think about:
Premoving the first move in general?
Is the move 1... d5 a good option?
Is 1. c4 a deal breaker?

Snar

premove 1.e6!

no "deal breakers" like 1.c4

ictavera

Doesn't the clock start running from second move?

Scottrf

Yeah that will save you all of 0.4 seconds.

Premoves for non-captures outside of endgames are terrible.

Snar

what if i play e6 against everything white plays?

Scottrf
Snar wrote:

Puts you in the French against e4 which is basically a forced loss for black.

Shai_Ziv

Yes, I know the clock starts running after the second move,
this is prety much just an idea I thought about, and would like to discuss.
e6 is an interesting idea, but I don't really like french so it falls. 

Scottrf

You knew the time doesn't start, so why on earth would you want to premove?

Snar
Scottrf wrote:
Snar wrote:

Puts you in the French against e4 which is basically a forced loss for black.

whats the forced loss for black

Scottrf

Just normal developing moves, 2. d4 3. Nd2 (avoiding the Winawer) etc.

Snar

that is not losing, it is slightly losing for black, just like every other opening that white plays correctly

Scottrf

Thanks for your refutation of my super serious comment.

Sam998

The French is by no stretch of the imagination a "forced loss" for black. That's just ridiculous.

Scottrf

I've only ever lost to an engine user in the French defence in long time controls. Just sayin'...

Snar

if houdini played houdini in the french defense with a long time control, i think it would be a draw

jposthuma

I'd say 1.c4 would be a deal breaker, unless you feel like trying my secret system (That I have never used, but might work out great in blitz.)

The problem with 1.c4 d5 is that 2.cxd5 Nf6? Is bad bacause 3.e4.

My system is 1.c4 d5 2.cxd5 c6 

The point of this opening is to open up the queenside files (d, c) for your pieces, and allow black a slight lead in developement. Example:

1.c4 d5 2.cxd5 c6 3.dxc6 Nxc6 4.Nf3 White can't just go ahead and grab the center quite yet. (4.d4) loses a pawn. (4.e4 e5) and you are doing great. 4...e5 Bf5 looks like a good blitz strategy, but it is flawed in many ways. 5.Nc3 Because this is not an officiall opening, your opponent will deviate about 40% of the time. Other moves I have seen are d3 and g3. Note that if white tries (5.e3) to build up d4, this would actually be a positional blunder. Some things you could do are 5...e4, 5...Bg4, (I only reccomend that in 1 min. chess.) or 5...Bc5 6.Bb5 Bg4.

Basically, Nc6, e5, Bc5, Nf6, Bg4 or f5, ( BUT IF G4, WATCH OUT FOR QA4 TACTICS!!!) 0-0. White will be tied down, while you will be freely developing. Your rooks will have the C, D, or E files to go onto, and you will have an easy game.

Ok, so... the Scandinavian... how do people like that opening!?!?!? I just can't comprehend it. Anyways, 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5. You know, all that stuff. My problem with it is that you have alot of attacks to deal with, and you will have to waste time moving your mouse over to a different piece. Shouldn't be a big deal, but just something to think about.

That's it. Hope I helped. :)

Snar

that is just the smith morra down a tempo

jposthuma

Also, for the people saying that the clock does not start until move 2, you would be correct, but it is just an interesting subject to think about.

"Is 1...d5 a decent response against any white move?"

Also, if you are playing in tournaments, it will save you about 1-1.5 seconds for your first move.

Of course, if you are white, then none of this info is helpful. :(

jposthuma
Snar wrote:

that is just the smith morra down a tempo

I did not even realize that... To be honest I just made this opening up earlier today because I was bored, but it did not even occur to me that it was the same thing as a smith morra gambit. Thanks. :)

Is there anything wrong with that?

Shai_Ziv

Thanks very much, jposthuma.
Your posts are very helpful and I sure will research all this (and respond) after I get some sleep ;).

About the scandinavian, I would also dislike it if 2... Qxd5 was the move I play, as it's absolutely awful. I use 2... Nf6.
after 3. d4 there's Nxd5 which I am OK with,
and after 3. c4, which I see a lot, there's the icelandic gambit which I absolutely adore.