Forums

Problem in Main Line of Caro-Kann

Sort:
Casual_Joe

I just started playing the Caro-Kann and I ran into a problem in the main line of the classical variation:

In a recent game White surprised me with 7. Nh4 instead of the main line which is 7. h4.  After Nh4 Black will lose the two Bishops and have a broken Kingside pawn structure.  Does anyone know the best response to Nh4, and why it's not considered the main line??

Arcanus_Lupus

The best response is a move that ignores it, because White is wasting time in order to accomplish an unnecessary goal. 

Casual_Joe
Arcanus_Lupus wrote:

The best response is a move that ignores it, because White is wasting time in order to accomplish an unnecessary goal. 

But then what is Black's plan for castling since both sides have a compromised pawn structure?

Arcanus_Lupus

What of Black's plans to castle?  Just don't castle immediately.  Don't become a target.  In semi-open games such as these, it is usually best to hold off castling until the opponent's motives are seen.

redchessman

Long term white will be better with the 2 bishops, but in return he has a lack in development and black needs to make use of this.  Theoretically its probably equal, but white will have some practical squeezing chances. There is a similar line in the caro kann where white goes nh3 and then nf4 with the same idea.  This line may not be the most played line, but it is a definitely playable sideline and you can't really avoid it. 

redchessman
Powerlevel_9001 wrote:
redchessman wrote:

Long term white will be better with the 2 bishops, but in return he has a lack in development and black needs to make use of this.  Theoretically its probably equal, but white will have some practical squeezing chances. There is a similar line in the caro kann where white goes nh3 and then nf4 with the same idea.  This line may not be the most played line, but it is a definitely playable sideline and you can't really avoid it. 

I think the 2 bishop advantage is quite overrated in such a position, the bishops although with quite a bit of activity, can be blocked very easily with black's rock solid pawn structure. I would not mind playing black against anyone.

it's one of those positions where it is a theoretically fine to play, but practically white may have slightly more chances.  

Arcanus_Lupus

White has slightly more chances in a game with hardly any chances at all.

redchessman
Arcanus_Lupus wrote:

White has slightly more chances in a game with hardly any chances at all.

yes this is exactly what I am trying to say.