Forums

Queens Raid: How to perform it and stop it.

Sort:
Hydrocannon

The first game shows how to perform Queens raid.

Second game, shows how to stop queens raid

Third game, stopping queens raid when they pull out the bishop first 

Hydrocannon
This is by best effort to show queens raid, no hateful comments please
littleman
interesting post mate. I posted something on the scholars mate before which is essentually what u shared with us. For black should have been 3...g6 then maybe Nf6 was good for your first example mate. The only major diff i noticed was one example u playe Na3 which is bad move to start with, and the second u brought the bishop out to c4 which is center at least. But thanks for your efforts anyway...Cool
Nytik
Thats interesting, I've never heard Scholars being called Queens Raid before... Anyway, nice post, but perhaps you should add what to do if if they move the bishop out first?
Hydrocannon
Nytik wrote: Thats interesting, I've never heard Scholars being called Queens Raid before... Anyway, nice post, but perhaps you should add what to do if if they move the bishop out first?

I never knew Queens raid was called scholars mate, and I added what to do when bishop out first

IXI_0000
hmm.... isn't that fool's mate?
Hydrocannon
Rookie_7 wrote: hmm.... isn't that fool's mate?

Yeah it is

ronank
Hydrocannon wrote: Rookie_7 wrote: hmm.... isn't that fool's mate?

Yeah it is

Fool's Mate is even shorter. 1. f3 e5 2. g4 Qh4# (there are some very minor variations possible)

Torkil

Fool's mate is 1.f3 e5 2.g4 Qh4#

Anyone who is serious about learning chess shouldn't try an opening like the scholar's mate because if Black doesn't fall for the rather crude mating trap, White's queen will be misplaced.

Nevertheless I don't want to fall in with everyone else simply telling you it is useless to bother with these mating motives as they are nothing more but crude traps in their pure forms. Yet knowing them can come in helpful in other, more natural game situations.

An example: The fools mate has been shown above. Now there is a sideline of the Dutch Defence which goes 1.d4 f5 2.Bg5, and if Black now tries chasing the bishop with 2...h6 3.Bh4 g5 4.Bg3 f4 he is in for a surprise: Instead of winning a piece, he is about to lose a pawn to 5.e3!, due to the now familiar mating motif.

So, familiarize yourself with things like scholar's mate and its likes, but don't mistake them for actual opening theory ;-)

sstteevveenn

yeah, the example with the white knight coming out first, looks like you dont know how to stop it if white doesnt waste a tempo Innocent

mowque
This is Blitzkreig
dwaxe
There have been numerous four-move checkmate topics before.
onemorecup

Both of you: 'Hydrocannon and ssteevveenn,

Thank you for sharing these with me/us. Just about every person I play in one way or another starts their games of with some combination of these moves.

Under normal circumstances with regular development this entire strategy can be foiled; however, I must admit that I feel for it about a month ago and also dished it once to the same player!

Thanx again for sharing  Cool

cubbybearblue

This is the queens raid that my 5 yr old daughter played in her very first chess tourny...

tamrik
I've seen white follow Sstteevveenn's example with g4 hoping to push the pawn on the following turn and threaten the knight.  I like to respond with knight to D4 threatening queen and king-rook fork.  Are there better responses then ND4 for black in move 5?  If I make this move as black, Have I opened myself up for a problem?
Wou_Rem

helltank

Scholar's Mate/Queen's Raid is essentially Fool's Mate, except on the Kingside, which just means that White needs to pull out a bishop to back his queen.

jimmypatrick
NightFactory wrote:

easiest way to do it is this 

I prefer just the simple developing move Nc6. White is trying to hang themselves, why take away all of their rope? For example:

Triniboi4

Qe7/pd7-d5.

Jion_Wansu