Forums

Scandinavian Defense 2...Qxd5; 3...Qa5: why not 4 Nf3?

Sort:
Elubas

So it seems you were in fact being presumptuous.

ponz111

Maybe, he was a little presumptuous but it shows character to admit a mistake.

Elubas

Play them out as long as possible, maybe even 20 moves. It can often change its mind. Houdini also thinks that the main line of 1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 Bg5 Bb4 5 e5 h6 6 Bd2 Bxc3 7 bxc3 Ne4 8 Qg4 is better for black.

ponz111

Yes. plus .37 means a small advantage for White.

what is given for other openings?  .37 seems above average starting opening score for an opening for

White.

which means computer does not think scandinavian as good as other openings for

black?

browni3141
alexlaw wrote:

because all engines gave a +0.37 to the scandinavian (well i checked this BEFORE i played the game. Usually black doesn't make the correct move order and I get many games with me having 3 extra pieces developed.

normal pirc/sicilian/caro-kann etc gives somewhere between a +0.1 to a +0.25, which is almost equal. a +0.37 means a small advantage for white, right?

Who cares? Since when do we let engines decide our openings for us? It's supposed to be the other way around right!?

roaringking87

Development represents only one key in the judgement of a particular position. Even if engines are weak in openings (that's why they use opening books: to avoid mistakes, to get favorable positions out of the opening and also to disguise their lack of positional and strategic knowledge) there must be a reason if Larry Kaufman latest book on the opening repertoire is created and checked using the strongest engines like probably all GM repertoires today.

ponz111

After 1. e4  d5  2. exd5 Qxd5  3. Nf3 then Bg4 is a "must" as otherwise

White is able to set up a d4 and c4 control of the center on

Black and slowly squeeze Black into oblivian.

There is plenty of theory after 3. ... Bg4! and the line is fully playable

In general Black plays  3.. ... Bg4   4. ...Nc3  5. ...0-0-0.   Of course if White plays Nc3 after the 4. ...Bg4 move then Black must move his Queen.

Actually the 3. Bg4! line is fun to play for Black

as for 4. ...Bg4 [after White plays Nc3 and Black moves his Queen and then Nf3 by White] that is a different ball of wax.  It is different as White can no longer opt for the d4 and c4 squeeze line. 

w

ponz111
ponz111