Forums

Scholars mate: do you employ it?

Sort:
diaeitsch

When I was rated under 1200 in Blitz Games here at chess.com, I've used that trap very often, it worked I would say in 25% of the games. Now I'm rated 1400+/- and it's almost impossible to succeed with that trap. 

According to your profile, Perfect_Idiot, it's no wonder that it works good. But when you improve your play and face stronger opponents, you shouldn't use it anymore. ;)

blasterdragon
Romanovitj wrote:

Please.

Scholar's is not an "opening" or a "technique" or a "strategy". It's a trap. There are many good players who use traps - but never traps that make their position worse. If you happen to threaten mate in one while improving your position, by all means. But to seek it out, despite what it does to your position, in the hope that your opponent won't see it? 

If you want to keep setting up one-move-mate-threats, taking pleasure in wins over the sloppy, the new and the bad - have fun. But don't pat yourself on the back thinking you're a good player because of it. 

its not even a trap a trap needs bait in the scholars its more of "i hope he doesn't see that i am blatentley attacking his weak pawn with two pieces and my "subtle" threats"

FN_Perfect_Idiot

People play scholars against me in almost 50% of games which is probably why my rating hasn't increased much. Its not a case of "falling" for the trap sometimes theres nothing you can do if you spot the threat too late.

bongclown
Perfect_Idiot wrote:

People play scholars against me in almost 50% of games which is probably why my rating hasn't increased much. Its not a case of "falling" for the trap sometimes theres nothing you can do if you spot the threat too late.

There is a famous book named move first think later.

Expertise87

Famous for having just come out a few months ago

WayneT

It's a fun trick/trap for the uninitiated. Failure however, can leave you slightly worse off.

mikemorgan20

that is madeup of illegal moves. its all rubbish