Forums

Sicilian Defence - Wing Gambit

Sort:
Seirup

I just buyed the books Gambiteer 1 and 2. And readed about the Wing Gambit in Sicilian Defence.

1. e4 c5 2. b4!?

Looks very cool, but can it been played. I analysed it a little, and found that Marshall, Bronstein, Keres, Capablanca and Alekhine played it.

The normal variant is 2. .. cxb4 3. a3 d4

Some of you guys play this? Or played against this?

HISblueberry

When I play chess computers at home, they like to play the Sicilian Wing Gambit. They tend not to win back the material or attack, but develop fast. a3 is alwals played after cxb4.

fiver

Read this article by PavleKosic

Seirup
godfire wrote:

When I play chess computers at home, they like to play the Sicilian Wing Gambit. They tend not to win back the material or attack, but develop fast. a3 is alwals played after cxb4.

No, a3 aint the only move. d4!? and Bb2!? can be played. In the game S. Moviotti - S. Holm in Budapest 1975 the white played 1. e4 c5 2. b4 cxb4 3. d4!? and white won!

BruiserMac

What's the best response for White here after 1e4,c5 2b4,e6 ?   Cool

PeskyGnat
BruiserMac wrote:

What's the best response for White here after 1e4,c5 2b4,e6 ?  

I'm guessing simply bxc5, now white can eventually play d4 kicking whatever decides to recapture on c5.  White gets a nice center, some play along the semi open b file, activity in exchange for a potentially backward c pawn, or isolated d-pawn