Forums

The ideas behind the queens gambit

Sort:
darkpower25

Hi, I've always had trouble finding this kind of information, so it would be very helpful if someone could give me some information on the queens gambit, it seems like an interesting gambit, and I have had trouble procuring and reading the literature about it.

Specifically I would like to know the ideas behind the queens gambit, that is to say what are whites objectives, and how are they usually met, pros and cons of the various lines, why they are used.  I would also like to know the ideas for black, as well, the goals of black in the queens gambit, the pros and cons of the various counter-gambits used.

If someone could help me that would be awesome

Hypocrism

No offense, but you'll do better ignoring opening theory until you improve your tactics.

For information like this, you really need a book.

darkpower25

yes, this helps a lot, thanks very much

benonidoni
Hypocrism wrote:

No offense, but you'll do better ignoring opening theory until you improve your tactics.

Do we have to constantly listen to these guys who want to ignore opening theory and sell tactics books. Go play with your puzzles.

Phelon

Well if you want an amazing book on the Queens Gambit here you go

http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Queens-Gambit-Grandmaster-Guide/dp/1906552185/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330655188&sr=8-1

Hypocrism
benonidoni wrote:
Hypocrism wrote:

Do we have to constantly listen to these guys who want to ignore opening theory and sell tactics books. Go play with your puzzles.

Did you even look at the games the OP is playing?

The chance his opponents will follow book moves is SO low at this level that there is no point thinking about openings. Every game will be won on a tactic or oversight. If he doubled his tactical ability, he would probably go up 500 points, if he learned the entire sicilian, 1.e4 and QGD, he might go up 50 points, if he's lucky.

ChessisGood

I would suggest the videos b Kasparov. They are quite informative.

benonidoni
Hypocrism wrote:
benonidoni wrote:
Hypocrism wrote:

The chance his opponents will follow book moves is SO low at this level that there is no point thinking about openings. Every game will be won on a tactic or oversight. If he doubled his tactical ability, he would probably go up 500 points, if he learned the entire sicilian, 1.e4 and QGD, he might go up 50 points, if he's lucky.

Bullshit

darkpower25

I'm not trying to learn the lines, so much as understand the ideas behind those lines

helltank

The ideas behind the QG are simple:

1)Exchange a centre pawn for a non-centre pawn so White can dominate the centre.

2)Attempt to exploit the opponent's queenside with a minority attack and using his queenside pieces to force backwards or doubled pawns. 

3)Castle Kingside and try to defend from Black counterplay there.

Phelon
paulgottlieb wrote:

Darkpower25, the OP is rated around 1150. I think the book you recommended is appropriate for someone rated 2500 or above

you heard it everyone, my recommendation is good up to GM and over ;)

durick
benonidoni wrote:
Hypocrism wrote:
benonidoni wrote:
Hypocrism wrote:

Bullshit

I agree with those that say that learning opening lines at his level is really bad, and tactics is the way to go.  When I was rated around 700 online, I started realizing that tactics and oversight was the way to go.  I also understnad that darkpower25's request was to learn the opening ideas and learn the advantages.  However, I just want you all to know, tactics eventually prevail.  Here is a game that is still going on.  Even though my opponent is rated much lower than me, we once were rated the same, and he just hasn't improved.  In the game, it can be CLEARLY seen that the opening wasn't a success for me, but I am currently winning because of my tactical ability, while my opponent was able to gain an advantage in the opening, but lost it all because of a few tactical blunders.

My annotations are from my viewpoint, not that of a professional's.  Don't take my stuff as serious advice and annotations, because I'm not a pro.

kindaspongey

The primary purpose of the 2006 book, Discovering Chess Openings, was to discuss basic opening principles, but, along the way, author, GM John Emms, did give some information about various specific openings. At one point, he wrote, "If you find an opening here that appeals to you and you wish to find out more about it, the next step would be to obtain an introductory text devoted entirely to that subject."

https://web.archive.org/web/20140627114655/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen91.pdf

"Throughout the book Emms uses excellently chosen examples to expand the readers understanding of both openings and chess in general. Thus equipped the student can carry this knowledge forward to study individual openings and build an opening repertoire. ... For beginning players, this book will offer an opportunity to start out on the right foot and really get a feel for what is happening on the board." - FM Carsten Hansen

One introductory text is Starting Out: The Queen's Gambit by John Shaw (2002)

https://web.archive.org/web/20140627062050/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen45.pdf

"... a good opening book can open up new vistas that you would probably not discover for yourself. ... I feel that the main reasons to buy an opening book are to give a good overview of the opening, and to explain general plans and ideas. ..." - GM John Nunn (2006)

"Every now and then someone advances the idea that one may gain success in chess by using shortcuts. 'Chess is 99% tactics' - proclaims one expert, suggesting that strategic understanding is overrated; 'Improvement in chess is all about opening knowledge' - declares another. A third self-appointed authority asserts that a thorough knowledge of endings is the key to becoming a master; while his expert-friend is puzzled by the mere thought that a player can achieve anything at all without championing pawn structures. To me, such statements seem futile. You can't hope to gain mastery of any subject by specializing in only parts of it. A complete player must master a complete game ..." - FM Amatzia Avni (2008)

Smegmarash

I guess it's being stubborn really, everyone wants that quick fix to get better, when there is no secret, just practice and play a lot and you will improve. You will improve faster if you go over your lost, and even won games.