The Moscow variation

Asparagusic_acids
SoupTime4 wrote:
Asparagusic_acids wrote:
SoupTime4 wrote:
Opinions?

 

d4 is bad

It only shows up as the main move because something had to.

d3 is the main move there.

SoupTime4
Asparagusic_acids wrote:

it fixes blacks pawns, and after xd4 nxd4 c5 gains the space back.

Why not an immediate ...Ba6

llama44
SoupTime4 wrote:
Opinions?

 

White usually waits for e5 before trying d4... why exactly that is I don't know.

Just naively, I'd want to play a setup with d3 because d4 opens lines when it's black who has the bishops and also d4 undoubles the pawns.

Asparagusic_acids
SoupTime4 wrote:
Asparagusic_acids wrote:

it fixes blacks pawns, and after xd4 nxd4 c5 gains the space back.

Why not an immediate ...Ba6

c5 gains a tempo.

Asparagusic_acids
llama44 wrote:
SoupTime4 wrote:
Opinions?

 

White usually waits for e5 before trying d4... why exactly that is I don't know.

Just naively, I'd want to play a setup with d3 because d4 opens lines when it's black who has the bishops and also d4 undoubles the pawns.

d3 is the main move in this position.

SoupTime4
Asparagusic_acids wrote:
SoupTime4 wrote:
Asparagusic_acids wrote:

it fixes blacks pawns, and after xd4 nxd4 c5 gains the space back.

Why not an immediate ...Ba6

c5 gains a tempo.

5.d4 cd4 6.Qd4 c5 7.Qd3 now ...Ba6 cant be played.  That is why i thought maybe it first?

llama44
Asparagusic_acids wrote:
llama44 wrote:
SoupTime4 wrote:
Opinions?

 

White usually waits for e5 before trying d4... why exactly that is I don't know.

Just naively, I'd want to play a setup with d3 because d4 opens lines when it's black who has the bishops and also d4 undoubles the pawns.

d3 is the main move in this position.

According to what?

I think it's a very logical move, but for example livebook on chessbase shows other moves are more popular, and black has scored relatively well against d3.

But maybe it's a new mainline and I don't know it.

Asparagusic_acids
SoupTime4 wrote:
Asparagusic_acids wrote:
SoupTime4 wrote:
Asparagusic_acids wrote:

it fixes blacks pawns, and after xd4 nxd4 c5 gains the space back.

Why not an immediate ...Ba6

c5 gains a tempo.

5.d4 cd4 6.Qd4 c5 7.Qd3 now ...Ba6 cant be played.  That is why i thought maybe it first?

qb6

theendgame3
aadimes wrote:

I have been playing Sicilian defense for a long time and I used to play the dragon.

Now I decided to change my repertoire and play the Najdorf.

While playing Najdorf I encounter this variation:


Anyone, please tell me how to play against this variation or to transpose it back to Najdorf!

Thats not the Najdorf.

What you've posted is the Canal Attack / Rossolimo- (ECO B52)  no-one else pick that up?

1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 d6 3 d4 cxd4 4 Nxd4 Nf6 5 Nc3 a6- Najdorf (ECO B90)

5...a6 is the Najdorf. 

Where did you get the "Moscow Variation" from?

 

aadimes
jamesstack wrote:
aadimes wrote:

I have been playing Sicilian defense for a long time and I used to play the dragon.

Now I decided to change my repertoire and play the Najdorf.

While playing Najdorf I encounter this variation:


Anyone, please tell me how to play against this variation or to transpose it back to Najdorf!

May I offer another option? You could play against the Rossolimo. (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6) I find the Rossolimo much more interesting than the moscow. In the Moscow you are probably going to have to play against the marcozy bind set up. In the Rossolimo there is more variety of positions that you can face. So if you like variety play Nc6. If you'd rather pretty much know what you are going to get every time play Bd7.

 

I am playing black side of this

theendgame3
aadimes wrote:
jamesstack wrote:
aadimes wrote:

I have been playing Sicilian defense for a long time and I used to play the dragon.

Now I decided to change my repertoire and play the Najdorf.

While playing Najdorf I encounter this variation:


Anyone, please tell me how to play against this variation or to transpose it back to Najdorf!

May I offer another option? You could play against the Rossolimo. (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6) I find the Rossolimo much more interesting than the moscow. In the Moscow you are probably going to have to play against the marcozy bind set up. In the Rossolimo there is more variety of positions that you can face. So if you like variety play Nc6. If you'd rather pretty much know what you are going to get every time play Bd7.

 

I am playing black side of this

But your not playing the Najdorf.

SoupTime4
anat743 wrote:
aadimes wrote:

I have been playing Sicilian defense for a long time and I used to play the dragon.

Now I decided to change my repertoire and play the Najdorf.

While playing Najdorf I encounter this variation:


Anyone, please tell me how to play against this variation or to transpose it back to Najdorf!

Thats not the Najdorf.

What you've posted is the Canal Attack / Rossolimo- (ECO B52)  no-one else pick that up?

1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 d6 3 d4 cxd4 4 Nxd4 Nf6 5 Nc3 a6- Najdorf (ECO B90)

5...a6 is the Najdorf. 

Where did you get the "Moscow Variation" from?

 

I wasnt gonna say anything because it doesnt get listened to.

theendgame3
SoupTime4 wrote:
anat743 wrote:
aadimes wrote:

I have been playing Sicilian defense for a long time and I used to play the dragon.

Now I decided to change my repertoire and play the Najdorf.

While playing Najdorf I encounter this variation:


Anyone, please tell me how to play against this variation or to transpose it back to Najdorf!

Thats not the Najdorf.

What you've posted is the Canal Attack / Rossolimo- (ECO B52)  no-one else pick that up?

1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 d6 3 d4 cxd4 4 Nxd4 Nf6 5 Nc3 a6- Najdorf (ECO B90)

5...a6 is the Najdorf. 

Where did you get the "Moscow Variation" from?

 

I wasnt gonna say anything because it doesnt get listened to.

true- and the OP still hasn't cottoned on lol

aadimes
SoupTime4 wrote:
aadimes wrote:
SoupTime4 wrote:

Well you just listed the main line for both sides.  And you should know that white will be playing d4 next move, 

White has more center space, and noting is going on on the kingside. 

Blacks best bet is to play a minority attack on the queenside.

After d4, it turns out to be a Maroczy Bind Formation

And what do you do with a Maroczy bind?

Play Hedgehog

aadimes
anat743 wrote:
aadimes wrote:
jamesstack wrote:
aadimes wrote:

I have been playing Sicilian defense for a long time and I used to play the dragon.

Now I decided to change my repertoire and play the Najdorf.

While playing Najdorf I encounter this variation:


Anyone, please tell me how to play against this variation or to transpose it back to Najdorf!

May I offer another option? You could play against the Rossolimo. (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6) I find the Rossolimo much more interesting than the moscow. In the Moscow you are probably going to have to play against the marcozy bind set up. In the Rossolimo there is more variety of positions that you can face. So if you like variety play Nc6. If you'd rather pretty much know what you are going to get every time play Bd7.

 

I am playing black side of this

But your not playing the Najdorf.

Ok, I understand

I like the move Nc6, It promises a lot of counterplay for black along the b file and there are chances for the d5 break

theendgame3

4...Bd7 seems to be popular- just put it into an opening base or youtube will have something

aadimes
anat743 wrote:

4...Bd7 seems to be popular- just put it into an opening base or youtube will have something

Ok let me see

Most probably I will go with 3.Nc6 as it offers a nice counterplay

llama44

Sure, 3...Bd7 has been played more often, but that doesn't mean it's currently considered the best move, and it doesn't say anything about the practical pros and cons of that choice.

3...Bd7 is a perfectly fine move, but citing statistics is just the beginning of the conversation, not the end.

SoupTime4
aadimes wrote:
anat743 wrote:

4...Bd7 seems to be popular- just put it into an opening base or youtube will have something

Ok let me see

Most probably I will go with 3.Nc6 as it offers a nice counterplay

MVL has played 3...Nc6 numerous times.  He would be a good place to start.