Forums

QSFL Discussion

Sort:
shepi13
The_Gavinator wrote:

Actually, in the master's database on chess365.com, there is over 170,000 games with the first move d4, and NONE of them feature that position.

You're slightly off - precisely 24 games feature that position - which is still very few.

4. e3  24 2011
16.7 % 25 % 58.3 %
The_Gavinator

That's the big database, not Master's database.

whatupyodog

What a beautiful opening!!!

shepi13
joeydvivre wrote:

I have 137 in my ChessBase online database for which I pay some dollar amount like $59/year to access.  Sorry you do not have a decent database.  Many of these are not especially obscure games played in real events by people with 2500+ ratings.

I have access to chess.coms database, chessgames.coms database, chesstempo's database, chess365's database, etc. I am sorry that I don't pay for chess base, and you are obviously a much better player than me with much better resources.

shepi13

Please note the sarcasm in my last post

In addition, if it was that great of a database and it only has 137 games, that shows that it isn't played all that often. 137 out of what - 200,000+. Really?

I can't find my post with Nb8, but I remember it being interesting. Oh well.

shepi13

No - it's not the money - simply that I haven't gotten it yet. I probably will as I get better. As it is I use the GUI Tarrasch with Rybka for analysis.

I already pay for a few sites like chess.com and ICC, just haven't downloaded or bought chessbase yet. It does look cool, and I probably will get it once I break 1700 or 1800 USCF.

shepi13
6...Nb8 5
  60% 40%

Here, I looked at the opening explorer again:

And black is shown as scoring 3.5 - 1.5 in this line (2-0 with 3 draws), I assume it transposes to the following:

shepi13

Forgot: 4...Bf5

The_Gavinator

Ehh, I think I'm giving up on this one. I don't think it's bad, and I may occasionally play it, but it's just not getting the aggressiveness I hoped. It'll probably work against beginners who will play Nc6, but I'll probably play the Parham from now on. Thank you for all of your analysis, I believe this opening is still playable, but is just not right for me. It is sound, and is playable.

Ben_Dubuque

so lets let the thread die

The_Gavinator

I don't see why that's necessary to say, but ok...

whatupyodog

i pwn

shepi13

A similar opening was just finished against me in an online game - here it is:

shepi13
joeydvivre wrote:

At the end of Move 5, we have a very common position in a Grunfeld.  I have almost 4000 games in my database from this position with such players as Ivanchuk, Dreev, Wang Hao, Grischuk playing it. 

Then I have 12 games with 6 Nb5 with a high rating of 1762...  Why are you so obsessed with this knight attack in all these positions?  In the position at move 6, the most popular move is e3.  But if you really want to attck the c-pawn, play Rc1 which has some kind of attack on the c-pawn and is a good developing move besides.  Nb5 takes your knight out of the center, allows black to get in c6 with tempo, gives away the e4 square.  To top it off, black can just practically ignore the threat and play c6.  After 6 Nb5 c6; 7 Nc7 Nh5; 8 Nxa8 Nxf4 black will eventually get the knight at a8 and be up two pieces to the rook and white will be lost.

You need to learn to stop playing that stupid non-threat.

If you pay attention, I was playing black, not white. I posted the line because it was similar to the ones the gavinator and whatsupyodog were playing. And yes, c6 does seem better then Na6.

shepi13

And yes - I know it's a common position in the grunfeld - I play the grunfeld and that is why we reached that position.

Olond

People...

Read: http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/the-queenside-fried-liver?page=1

They are calling an opening the way to grandmaster. Plus their pattern of arguing. Every sane person must realise the whole thing is just for trolling. They can't be that dumb. They are probably just sitting in front of their comupter and laughing at every serious post.

Admin, please close the thread and ban their accounts.

whatupyodog

Olond , you are obviously a garbage player. Dont bash this opening for no reason. Please dont post unless you have something relevant to say.

Olond

Same pattern as always. Enjoy your soon deleted account.

The_Gavinator

Wow Olond, I'm glad the chess.com community is so friendly. Anybody who has new ideas should have their accounts banned. Good way to think.

p.s. joeydvivre, after Nb5, if black responds c6 you lose the rook dummy.

Michael-G

Some of us tried to tell you that you do not yet have the skill to understand what is good and what is bad.Acquire first that skill and then we can discuss any new opening you will discover.We are not against new ideas.On the contrary, I would love learning something new and use it in a blitz tournament I am going to play on Monday.

I don't agree with those that "attacked" you and I don't understand them.You must search for new ideas but right now you are not ready.

What if I told you :

"I know nothing about cars but I think I can make one myself"

What would you tell me?Wouldn't you tell me :

"First learn about cars then make one"

If that sound unreasonable then you are right and I'm wrong.