Forums

QSFL Discussion

Sort:
Ben_Dubuque

it was a joke, don't worry about it

The_Gavinator

btw, in that thing you posted I prefer white.

Ben_Dubuque

like I prefer 6.f4 in the Najdorf than 6.Be3, or prefer The KG bishop's gambit

The_Gavinator

joedvivre, are you kidding. you are obviously just picking a fight. All you do is insult me, and provide no evidence as to why. I think you are the definiton of a troll.

shepi13
joeydvivre wrote:

@shep - Nope - you're just simply and obviously wrong...

Explain to me how I'm wrong.

My engine is down right now (my computer broke so I'm using an old one without an engine to just get online), but cxd4 was -0.96 and the best move on my engine, and cxb4 was way lower, even below -0.5. How am I wrong when I have lines and computers to back me up.

shepi13

I agree with The Gavinator for once - joeydvivdre is a troll who is picking a fight. I am simply and obviously wrong, yet he offers no analysis or evaluation of my line, and offers no lines of his own. Just because he is higher rated he thinks he is right. I played a game recently and played a move better than Polugaevsky - yeah right. You aren't that good man. You may be good, but you aren't that good.

The_Gavinator

Apparently you all don't even read what I post. This is about the 5th time I'm saying this, but I agree 4. b4 is busted. It was an aggressive try, and I looked at it only for a few minutes. You all have show it doesn't work. Anyways, I'll put this in the OP too, but for about the 5th time, against c5, I now recommend e3.

The_Gavinator

joeydvivre, please stop trolling. Why don't you read the original post. I stated that you should only post if you are actually going to give a reason why. Just calling it "stupid" isn't a good reason. Anyways, I just looked, there are two posts involving 4. e3. They were both by jetfighter, the first one openly hung a pawn for white, so it wasn't very good, and the second one showed that 4. e3 actually favored white. So instead of trolling here, please actually give a reason why 4. e3 is "busted".

chessmaster102

see no reason why black cnt play ...f6 if 3.Bg5 is played.

shepi13
The_Gavinator

joeydvivre, you haven't posted anything with analysis of 4. e3. This just further proves you are a troll, and on here to pick a fight.

The_Gavinator

You just said that you posted a line that completely busts it...

shepi13
The_Gavinator wrote:

Apparently you all don't even read what I post. This is about the 5th time I'm saying this, but I agree 4. b4 is busted. It was an aggressive try, and I looked at it only for a few minutes. You all have show it doesn't work. Anyways, I'll put this in the OP too, but for about the 5th time, against c5, I now recommend e3.

Sorry - I was gone for a day or so due to computer problems, I probably missed that page. Yes - e3 is a better decision

CHCL

@shepi13, If it isn't as strong as the QG, then play the QG. The problem with this opening (in my opinion) is that Black equalizes easy, and there is no way for white to put pressure on Black's position. That is why the Watie/Harrison Attack isn't as strong as the QG.

shepi13
joeydvivre wrote:

If that's finally the line we are done to with e3, it's not busted.  In fact, it is very ordinary.  It appears in my database with 137 games.  Miladinovic plays it all the time.  That was hardly the original discussion and there can be no claim of originality there.

I believe that joeydvivre thought you were refering to this line earlier when he claimed it was busted. We have busted this line, as black at least equalizes.

The_Gavinator

Actually, I posted at the bottom of the second page that 4. b4 is busted. joeydvivre has yet to post a line that doesn't involve 4 b4, and he didn't begin posting until the 3rd page. Therefore he was posting soley on old news, just to give a reason to try to insult me, and the opening, because he is a TROLLLLL

shepi13
CHCL wrote:

@shepi13, If it isn't as strong as the QG, then play the QG. The problem with this opening (in my opinion) is that Black equalizes easy, and there is no way for white to put pressure on Black's position. That is why the Watie/Harrison Attack isn't as strong as the QG.

I actually always play the QG as white, I was just saying that there is nothing inherently wrong with that line. I'm considering learning the catalan, but I probably won't play it that much - using the theory mainly for grunfeld transpositions.

The_Gavinator

joey, i'm going to type in all caps because it appears you have problems reading

THE E3 LINE I MENTIONED WAS ON MOVE 4!! NOT MOVE 5 OR MOVE 6 OR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT. IF YOU ARE GOING TO POST A LINE, I RECOMMEND 4. E3 AFTER 3...C5!!!

ps.- Nobody has really mentioned the 3...Bf5 line. Could you guys post thoughts on that too?

The_Gavinator

Actually, in the master's database on chess365.com, there is over 170,000 games with the first move d4, and NONE of them feature that position.

shepi13

Well the first database I found that had Nb5 after Bf5 showed white scoring 2.5-0.5 out of three games played. As this database also had amateur games as well, this might not be the most accurate judgement, and three games isn't enough to prove or disprove an opening anyways. I believe that your opening might be playable for white, but as it offers black easy equality and good chance for an advantage I wouldn't ever play it. Also, I don't think Bd3 giving up your better bishop for a knight looks that great. Try finding a safer way to defend the fork. In addition, your opening lacks kingside development, which might be a problem if black can begin to initiate an attack. I wouldn't play it, but I don't believe it is an immediate loss.

Note:

I have an online game in a similar Nb5 line going on currently (grunfeld, not qsfl or Whaite-Harrison - and I was playing black). I made solid developing moves, and at this point I should be winning. I will post the game when I finish it so we can analyze the opening and why exactly I gained an advantage. In addition, nobody has analyzed my Nb8!? that I gave earlier. The idea is that it transposes to a solid line in which black scores very well, and reroutes the knight from a6 to a better square, such as d7 or c6, rather than trying to attack with Nb4. I'll look back to the exact post and post the line again.