Top three most effective opening traps?

Sort:
PolarPhoenix

Another one from the Caro-Kann:

Owen's Defense backfire:

Englund Gambit famous trap:

rterhart
comooooo schreef:

i tried the blackburn shilling gambit and its the worst trap ever no one falls for that anymore so thats that

I saw a decent club player fall for the Blackbourne Shilling the other day.

It made me look into it again. "Don't take the free pawn" is what I remembered, but actually, if you do, after Qg5, Bxf7+!? is not so bad for White.

That must be fun. First watch the glee with which your opponent plays Qg5, only for it to turn into shock after Bxf7. But it won't happen. I don't play the Italian, and hardly anyone plays the BSG and with good reason.

I saw a Youtube video a while ago, where a GM got positively angry at people playing the BSG. "You may win the odd game, but it will not make you a better chess player," was his position.

Waredude

SpicyMaterial
Frankdawg wrote:

This is Fishing Pole Trap

Jachin-Boaz
Arctor wrote:

I like this one:

The funniest.

cirujanox

good trap

Aslinika

That very good

igorkchessplayer

B1ZMARK

The most effective opening trap is getting intermediate players to study them, thus keeping them at that level forever.

Vialk
In the Black Knight’s Tango Defense:

1 PQ4 NKB3 2 PQB4 NB3 3 NQB3 PK4 4 PQ5 NK2 5 PK4 NN3 6 BQ3 BB4 7 KNK2? (aiming for a flank attack along the KB file. Correct is 7 NKB3 which allows better defense of White’s kingside.) 7...NN5! 8 O-O QR5! 9 PKR3 NxP 10 RxN QxR+ and Black is up the exchange.

Not very much a trap, but a very very common mistake that White makes in this position. Black does not have to make any bad moves to set up the position.

In actual, after 6...BB4 White is 3x most likely to play the natural-looking mistake 7 KNK2? compared to the correct NKB3, if you see the lichess players database!
Vialk

newbie4711

A trap against 1... a6 (unfortunately rarely played) sad.png