Weapons as Black against the French Advance Variation

Undrtkr

Out of curiosity, is Kupreichik's idea still 5.Be3 after 4...Ne7 ? At least black have Nf5 then, which looks okay.

Undrtkr

Bump...

Hadron
Undrtkr wrote:

Out of curiosity, is Kupreichik's idea still 5.Be3 after 4...Ne7 ? At least black have Nf5 then, which looks okay.

Looks okay?

 

SpiderUnicorn

Use the power of LOGIC, and you will soon have an entire array of weapons against every opening. 

 

Undrtkr
Hadron wrote:
Undrtkr wrote:

Out of curiosity, is Kupreichik's idea still 5.Be3 after 4...Ne7 ? At least black have Nf5 then, which looks okay.

Looks okay?

 

What is your assessment?

ThrillerFan
Undrtkr wrote:
Hadron wrote:
Undrtkr wrote:

Out of curiosity, is Kupreichik's idea still 5.Be3 after 4...Ne7 ? At least black have Nf5 then, which looks okay.

Looks okay?

 

What is your assessment?

 

Not real sure.  I do not play those ...Ne7 lines in the advance, blocking the Bishop.  4...Qb6 and 5...Nc6 and if 6.a3, then either 6...c4 or 6...Nh6, depending on mood.  As White, I would simply play 5.Nf3, not 5.Be3, even in normal lines.  I simply play 4...Qb6 first to avoid the 5.Be3 lines when playing Black.

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 as Black I now play 4...Qb6 (4...Nc6 is perfectly fine but if you are going to play 5...Qb6 anyway, do the Queen move first to avoid 5.Be3) and as White, after 4...Ne7, I would play 5.Nf3 (taking on c5 is not good, despite the appearance that it is hanging).

ChessVesuvius

Only a fool would play the French.

OldPatzerMike
ChessVesuvius wrote:

Only a fool would play the French.

Yep, if Botvinnik and Petrosian hadn’t foolishly played the French, they might have had some success in their chess careers.

ThrillerFan
ChessVesuvius wrote:

Only a fool would play the French.

Only a douche bag would make such a moronic comment!

Uhlmann, Glek, Moskalenko, and I would all kick your arse with the French!

Lyudmil_Tsvetkov
FrogCDE wrote:

Nh6 seems a good option at lower levels, because the eyes of most players light up and they snap off your knight thinking that they are doubling your pawns and weakening your kingside, Actually, these lines are good for Black:

 

 

Of course there are many other possible lines here, but the point is that White's hold on the centre is weakened without the dark-squared bishop, while Black's kingside is not as vulnerable as it looks. 

What about 6. Na3!?, intending Na3-c2-e3, when 6...cxd4 7.cxd4 Bxa3 8.bxa3 should already favour white?

 

Lyudmil_Tsvetkov

Besides, 5. f4! is way stronger than 5.Nf3.

Black never gets full equality in the French. 

 

ThrillerFan
Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:

Besides, 5. f4! is way stronger than 5.Nf3.

Black never gets full equality in the French. 

 

 

5.f4?! Is dubious at best in the Advance Variation due to tactics and pressure on e5 due to the d4-pawn being in an absolute pin when White castles.

GMproposedsolutions

You are too late to advise Napolean on this matter.

Undrtkr
ThrillerFan wrote:

 

Not real sure.  I do not play those ...Ne7 lines in the advance, blocking the Bishop.  4...Qb6 and 5...Nc6 and if 6.a3, then either 6...c4 or 6...Nh6, depending on mood.  As White, I would simply play 5.Nf3, not 5.Be3, even in normal lines.  I simply play 4...Qb6 first to avoid the 5.Be3 lines when playing Black.

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 as Black I now play 4...Qb6 (4...Nc6 is perfectly fine but if you are going to play 5...Qb6 anyway, do the Queen move first to avoid 5.Be3) and as White, after 4...Ne7, I would play 5.Nf3 (taking on c5 is not good, despite the appearance that it is hanging).

Assessment comment was meant for Hadron happy.png

It's all about style and lines you prefer I guess, but the Ne7 idea is all about getting rid of the french problem-bishop, as in this example:

 

Optimissed

Qb6 is stronger but more tactical imo. Feel free to disagree.

Hadron
ThrillerFan wrote:
ChessVesuvius wrote:

Only a fool would play the French.

Only a douche bag would make such a moronic comment!

Uhlmann, Glek, Moskalenko, and I would all kick your arse with the French!

Just WOW....You are quite the angry fellow in the face of being wound up by some troll

You never fail to disappoint to answer with abuse once your perceptions are challenged even in jest