Forums

What do French Defence Players Play as White.

Sort:
jadelement

I'm an avid French player, although I throw out the occasional Sicilian Dragons, and the Scandanavian.

As white, I play d4 and e4 about equally. I generally encounter a Sicilian, where I go for the f4 push or the Yugoslav Attack. I go in to Ruy Lopez and Caro-Kann Exchange/Advance too. Against French, I play the poisoned-pawn variation or Tarrasch.

I like the Catalan against Indian systems. I sometimes throw out the Reti Opening or the King's Indian Attack, but extremely rarely. English if I'm on a losing streak against that player :P

pawnfukr

i play the french against 1.e4 dutch stonewall against 1.d4 but as white i like to play the english or 1.Nf3 which can easily transpose into the english or many others depending on blacks response

DrSpudnik

I play 1.e4

and when facing the French I play 1.e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3

Gemini_Incarnate

I play a butchered variation of the French Defense , as both white and black.

Arutha19
d4 will give you the same closed centres you're used to along with the wing attacks and general positional themes you're used to but with the added advantage of a lead in space, usually. It might be worth looking at.
coflynn

I play the French as black, and as White I would play the Sicilian Alapin variation (1.e4 c5 2.c3). A lot of these lines have similar pawn structure to the French Advanced variation, and in some cases can be completely the same.

coflynn
DrSpudnik wrote:

I play 1.e4

and when facing the French I play 1.e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3

Nc3 provokes Bb4, which needs a lot of study. Nd2 is the best scoring response against the French, I would suggest looking into the Rubenstein variation.