Forums

What do grandmasters do when their opponent plays a non-book move?

Sort:
raykrish

What do masters do when their opponent deviates from opening book or they enter a position where they do not know the book moves?

I want to know how they think,the guidelines of choosing the next move.

Scottrf

They use their understanding of the position, pawn structures etc.

It's not like they have only memorised the book moves, they know what they are trying to achieve with them.

plutonia

they go cry in a corner

No seriously, they've problably seen everything. I read somewhere that GMs have literally thousands of positions memorized.

There's no way you're gonna play something that a GM didn't see already, a bit scary thought.

waffllemaster

Scottrf is right, they understand why the book moves are played and why the non-book moves aren't considered best.  So when someone leaves book or they forget the moves, they use their knowledge of chess.

rooperi
plutonia wrote:

they go cry in a corner

No seriously, they've problably seen everything. I read somewhere that GMs have literally thousands of positions memorized.

There's no way you're gonna play something that a GM didn't see already, a bit scary thought.

I'm not too sure about that.

If he plays 1 e4 and I reply 1... b5, I doubt he thinks "oh, yeah, this is what I play against that..."

furtiveking
plutonia wrote:

they go cry in a corner

Thousands of positions? Absolutely. That said... that's not really all that many positions in terms of how many are possible.

keju

raykrish, at your rating, this book may help you, as it did me:

rooperi
pfren wrote:
rooperi wrote:

If he plays 1 e4 and I reply 1... b5, I doubt he thinks "oh, yeah, this is what I play against that..."

Quite right. He will just gobble the pawn, and order a soda.

LOL, at his peril, I have a few wins with that Foot in mouth

But seriously, at our club there was a Sokolsky line that was fashionable (Yeah, I know, the club is weird).

A few years ago, GM Neil McDonald visited (I wasn't there, so this is hearsay) and the players told me he was totally unfamiliar with this line, and a little intrigued, as I recall someone managed a draw in a simul, or a Blitz afterwards, or something.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Since people at that level have a deep understanding of chess they'll figure out good moves over the board. It was said that Capablanca once refuted Marshall's home preparation over the board, so they do it by ability, not memorization.  If we don't understand something in one of our openings we should strive to understand it by weighing different moves against the principles of chess. 

plutonia
furtiveking wrote:
plutonia wrote:

they go cry in a corner

Thousands of positions? Absolutely. That said... that's not really all that many positions in terms of how many are possible.

I think 1000 or 2000 positions will cover pretty much everything that there in chess (or at least everything that can happen with one's repertoire).

Don't be misled by the game tree complexity of chess. While the possible permutations of pieces are bazillions, the actual positions that could happen in practice are much, much less. Also in the endgames there are many permutations of pieces that would not alter the evaluation.

For example: Lucena is one position. If you count all the possible locations of the black and white rooks and the black king, then multiply all that for the 6 files, you have more than 1 million...but the knowledge required for that position is just one.

chasm1995

I saw this thing on 60 minutes about Carlsen that said he usually already knew what to do the moment his opponent made his/her move and he just made sure that it was sound before making that move.

ghostofmaroczy

raykrish you ask an important question.  That phase of the game would be associated with the term Theoretical Novelty.  The top players spend a huge amount of time over the board when a Theoretical Novelty appears...

konhidras

i think when a gm meets a non book move ...hmmm...they go take a leak

and return ith a great move similar to the best move of a chess program or somthing.Laughing

konhidras
jempty_method wrote:
konhidras wrote:

i think when a gm meets a non book move ...hmmm...they go take a leak

and return ith a great move similar to the best move of a chess program or somthing.

Is the idiotic smile supposed to make this post less troll-ish?

I really dont know.Hmm...What do you think?Laughing

Ubik42

Smart grandmasters lose to it on purpose then go write a book about the "innovation"

jesterville

I think this is where the chess game really begins. He will look at a number of possible moves and calculate possible replies...trying to work out which tree provides him with the better position. I remember Carlsen saying he would calculate 20-30 moves but the real trick was identifying which alternative actually provides you with a better position ie. evaluating the position at the end of your calculations. I find this part very difficult.

helltank
rooperi wrote:
plutonia wrote:

they go cry in a corner

I'm pretty sure a gm would immediately play Bxb5.

bronsteinitz

They play their best move and then it becomes book theory.

chasm1995

They do whatever move makes them feel warm and fuzzy.  Then, they dominate the game.

chasm1995
pcfilho wrote:

If the opponent is not a master, he/she may offer a draw. Who is crazy enough to deny a draw claim by a grandmaster? ;)

someone too vain and idiotic to accept a draw. Wink