Forums

What do you think of the Sicilian?

Sort:
lolurspammed

Sicilian players love getting attacked. We kill your attacks!

mjh1991

It takes a certain mentality.  You concede white a developmental advantage at a cost, a center pawn.  You then need to counter-attack aggressively.  If you hold your own, then black often comes out at least equal and highly active.  But if you play passively, and don't take advantage of your tactical and positional resources...it won't end well.  

From the white perspective, it feels like black is much more in the driver's seat than he is than in most french and ruy lopez lines.  I remember my first game against a sveshnikov, it was a very disconcerting loss of control having no knowledge of the lines.  It is much clearer (to me) in most french and ruy lopez lines what you should be doing as white.

JJZ03
lolurspammed wrote:

Sicilian players love getting attacked. We kill your attacks!

Have you ever failed to defend?

lolurspammed

Sure I've lost, but white isn't going to have any advantage in main line Sicilians.

squareofthepawn
JJZ03 wrote:

What do you think of the Sicilian? One of the most Popular, if not the most popular, Openings.

It's ok. I just wish there were several variations of it. Then it could be more interesting.

JJZ03

I would indeed sacrifice development for a little central control

JJZ03
squareofthepawn wrote:
JJZ03 wrote:

What do you think of the Sicilian? One of the most Popular, if not the most popular, Openings.

It's ok. I just wish there were several variations of it. Then it could be more interesting.

I thought there were...

GasconJR

Sicilian is really interesting specially for attacking players! Here you have a little introduction about one of the most popular Sicilians... http://www.chess.com/blog/JRgascon/introduction-to-najdorf-sicilian

JJZ03

Exellent article. 

JJZ03

Najdorf is my favorite