Forums

What is the absolute worst first move white can play?

Sort:
tamachi

Out of the potential 20 opening moves White could start off with...

Which one is considered to be the worst one?

Dark_Falcon
tamachi wrote:

Out of the potential 20 opening moves White could start off with...

Which one is considered to be the worst one?

Definitely 1.f3...although it is fun to play, especially if your second move is Kf2...called the Hammerschlag!

Dark_Falcon
Shadowknight911 wrote:

did anyone notice in the movie Knights of the South Bronx that the girl played e4 and then Ke2 in her first 2 moves?

Maybe she was a Bongcloud-Master?!?

Phelon

Nh3 or Na3 would be my guess.

Dark_Falcon
paul211 wrote:

Flipping the board!

Seriously any move that does not take any direct control of the center by occupying one of the center square or indirectly such as playing 1...c5.

Moves such as 1.a3, a4, h3, h4, f3, g4, Nh3 or Na3, all of these moves take no control of the center squares that are the springboard to enter the opponents territory and or block the opponent from entering your territory.

The way to respond to these move is simply for you to play your normal development moves controlling the center, castling, developping pieces and protecting all pieces that you develop including protecting any unoccupied squares in your territory to prevent any incursion or penetration. 

In other words follow your game plan and after 10+ moves you will be ahead I guaranty it. I do not tell you that you will win the game, I am telling you that you will gain an advantage in the game with pieces positioned on critical squares that will enable you to launch an attack against the opponents King.

I dont agree with you that youre ahead after 10 moves+ when your opponent plays 1.a3 or 1.h3, its only a reversed opening, not more,  not less...if you were right, that would mean vice versa, that your automatically always be ahead with white after 10 natural moves against Sicilian, Ruy Lopez, QGD, and so on...

And you have to pay respect to the mighty Grob 1.g4!!! Cool 

zoom2me
Phelon wrote:

Nh3 or Na3 would be my guess.

ya.. followed by worst second move (Nb1 or Ng1)

theoreticalboy
Shadowknight911 wrote:
Dark_Falcon wrote:
Shadowknight911 wrote:

did anyone notice in the movie Knights of the South Bronx that the girl played e4 and then Ke2 in her first 2 moves?

wow, never knew that that was actually an opening.  And I actually see threads on this opening - I thought it was some drug joke or something like that.

This is totally rad.

TheGrobe

There are actually 22 first moves white can come up with.

Easily worst is to resign.

TheGrobe
theoreticalboy wrote:
Shadowknight911 wrote:
Dark_Falcon wrote:
Shadowknight911 wrote:

wow, never knew that that was actually an opening.  And I actually see threads on this opening - I thought it was some drug joke or something like that.

This is totally rad.

The joke's transcendence is pretty awesome.

kshc027

Resigning.

Jadeite

f3, nh3, a4, or h4. Check out the games of Robert Durkin if you don't like 1.Na3; I don't know of anyone who had nearly as much success with another rare 1st move.

browni3141

1. h4 is the worst in my opinion. At least f3 controls the center. There's no way the worst move is Na3 or Nh3 developing a piece.

1. h4 does almost nothing except weaken the kingside. 1. a4 may be second worst.

stanhope13

I read somewhere that Joseph Henry Blackburne once played 1e4 and then said "I resign", and his opponent held him to it.

ponz111

I think 1. h4 is the worst move as it creates a weakness. 1. f3 is not as

bad as you can make some kind of game out of it. I am not sure if 1. g4 has

been refuted or not. 1. a3 is fine for Black-followed by c4. 1. a4 not so bad

as you can set up a situation where that move somewhat useful

ClavierCavalier

I think 1. e3  e5  2. e4 ...  Is pretty bad.

Edit:  Yes, I've seen this before!

waffllemaster

Hard to say, I'd guess it's one of the kingside pawns.  Probably either 1.f3 or 1.h4.  Although no first move is losing.  Now if you want to talk about worst 2 or 3 moves :)

Jango_Sythe

I agree

bresando

You are never going to be much worse than equal after whatever first move. Probably 1.f3, 1.g4 and 1.h4 are similarly bad, 1.a4 being slightly behind together with Nh3. 1.a3 is rather "decent" in comparison, since neither 1...d5 nor 1...e5 are likely to be serious tryes for a black advantage (a3 being useful both in a reversed sicilian, 1.e4 e5, queen gambit or benoni). 1...g6 and 1...Nf6 are probably tougher to face, but not to the point of black claiming an easy advantage.

kco

1.Na6

Fawzo

I would say Resign is the absolute worst first move white can make, losing on time would be a close second :)