Forums

What is the best book on the Slav for me?

Sort:
gundamv

I have tried playing games with random openings, and I want to learn more about the Slav as Black.  What is the best book on the Slav for me?  Below are some details:

1. I am hovering between Class D and Class C, if that matters.

2. I do not want to play the Semi-Slav.  The Moscow and Botvinnik lines look too crazy for me.  (I might add Semi-Slav to my repertoire later, though.)

3. As I play in novice Classes, I would prefer a book that has at least some coverage of strange and offbeat lines.  A book that only covers the main line would not be too helpful for me.

4. Annotated games tend to be more helpful to me then lines of theory (i.e. MCO).  However, annotated games are helpful to the extent that they show proper mainstream play - a game involving some theoretical novelty that Anand played once but never used again would not be too helpful to me. [Edit: I also prefer lines that have stood the test of time rather than some faddish line that might fade away soon.]

5. To the extent that a book covers a Slav repertoire, I would prefer a more positional one (meaning that I focus more on positioning my pieces well; not necessarily meaning "defensive") than a more tactical one (meaning one with lots of sacrifices).

6. I play the Caro-Kann vs. 1 e4 if that makes a difference.

7. I don't need the most up-to-date theory, but on the other hand, I don't want to play something that has been refuted convincingly.

Some book candidates: (I am open to other books as well)

* Starting Out: Slav and Semi-Slav by Flear (I think)

* Slav: Move by Move by Lakdawala

* Play the Slav by Vigus

gundamv

I would prefer to go through games that are annotated by grandmasters, etc. given my relatively mediocre playing skill.  Not sure if I can pick up on the nuances and significance of the moves just by playing out some games without anyone explaining the games to me.

gundamv

The Chebanenko Slav looks good, but this report seems concerning: http://www.chesscafe.com/text/cvo_19.pdf

littleozy

errm u can try this http://upir.ir/934/17-%5BBoris-Avrukh%5D-The-Classical-Slav.pdf

ThrillerFan

At your level, I'd go with The Slav: Move by Move.

As for the whole Positional vs Tactical, you can't control that.  For example, if White plays the Gambit line, 5.e4, instead of the main line, 5.a4, you are going to be in for a wild game, no matter how you cut it.  Luckily enough, it's not White's most popular line by any stretch, but you can't force positional.  The same can be said the other way around.  You can play the Najdorf and Grunfeld like I do, but that doesn't mean I don't get positional grinds.  I do.  And I play them accordingly as trying to force a wild game will do nothing but backfire!