Forums

What openings will we see in the WCC?

Sort:
TheGreatOogieBoogie
DavidStyles wrote:
hicetnunc wrote:

I expect Anand to go for very sharp main lines and try to draw games as quickly as possible

Sharp lines as drawing weapons? That's... novel.

Many lines of the Grunfeld are like that :(

AnastasiaStyles
hicetnunc wrote:
DavidStyles wrote:
hicetnunc wrote:

I expect Anand to go for very sharp main lines and try to draw games as quickly as possible

Look at the sharpest line in theory these days : Bg5 Poisoned pawn Najdorf, Vienna, Marshall gambit, exchange Grünfeld... With computer preparation, they tend to peter out in long forced drawing lines. I think that's one of the reasons Carlsen is avoiding them : it's not because he lacks memory or calculating skills

Ok, that makes (counterintuitive) sense, thank you. Seemed crazily antithetical that sharp lines should lead to draws!

Tekoa

There has to be a Ruy in there somewhere.

Tekoa

Although I think that one of them will break with their usual form to try and find a way through.

MSC157

Ware, Saragossa, Van't Kruijs, Trompovsky (d4, d5, Bg5)

and

Ruy Lopez, KID, Semi-Slav.

kponds
Scottrf wrote:
kponds wrote:

I expect very little 1. e4, but that's a given.

Both play quite a lot of e4 for top level players.

Yes they do, but typically (as of the last several years) e4 is much less common in match play / WCCs than in tournament play.

Scottrf
kponds wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
kponds wrote:

Yes they do, but typically (as of the last several years) e4 is much less common in match play / WCCs than in tournament play.

Really? Check out the last World Championship match.

Anand played more e4 than d4.

AngeloPardi

What I would like to see : 
Dragon, Caro-Khan Bronstein-Larsen, east- and king indian, benoni with black. King's gambit with white. 
That would be an awesome match !

More seriously, I think that Anand should try some tactical lines, just as he did against Kramnik in 2008. Carlsen skills have not been tested in those kind of position, he prefers calmer water. 

AngeloPardi
ScorpionPackAttack wrote:

I hope to see a win with the Nimzo-Larsen attack, or maybe even a king's gambit but that's not playable at the world champion level. 

Anand played the scandinavian against Kasparov (and lost). 
Fischer played the Alekhine against Spassky (and won).
Obviously those were pre-computer area matches, but who knows ?
Carlsen has played some strange openings too. 

kponds
Scottrf wrote:
kponds wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
kponds wrote:

3/6 of Anand's games as white, and 0/6 of Gelfand's, so 25%.  Pretty typical.

Scottrf
kponds wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
kponds wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
kponds wrote:

3/6 of Anand's games as white, and 0/6 of Gelfand's, so 25%.  Pretty typical.

Gelfand isn't playing, so irrelevant. Anand played e4 in 5/8.

My point was these players play quite a lot of e4, not a general evaluation of top level chess.

bean_Fischer

Surprise. Carlsen Plays KG and loses. Anand Plays QB and loses.

willbecomeaGM

Carlsen will probably play sicilian or ruy lopez with either peices, Anand will probably play the same with either peices.

TheGreatOogieBoogie
AngeloPardi wrote:
ScorpionPackAttack wrote:

I hope to see a win with the Nimzo-Larsen attack, or maybe even a king's gambit but that's not playable at the world champion level. 

Anand played the scandinavian against Kasparov (and lost). 
Fischer played the Alekhine against Spassky (and won).
Obviously those were pre-computer area matches, but who knows ?
Carlsen has played some strange openings too. 

The Scandanavian and Alekhine are playable up there (as far as I know) whereas the King's Gambit isn't.  The Nimzo-Larsen might be, it hands black easy equality but in any opening (especially at world champion level) black equalizes eventually anyway. 

The thing I like about the Nimzo-Larsen is it gives black the option to go for a space advantage, so one as white can put into practice the old saying that just because a position is cramped doesn't mean it lacks resources. 

I remember a game where Carlsen even played the Nc3 variation of the King's Gambit!  He drew. 

kikvors

My bet is that Carlsen will vary a lot, but that we will see at least two Ruy Lopez games with d3, one with Carlsen white and the other Anand.

molokombo
hicetnunc wrote:
DavidStyles wrote:
hicetnunc wrote:

Look at the sharpest line in theory these days : Bg5 Poisoned pawn Najdorf, Vienna, Marshall gambit, exchange Grünfeld... With computer preparation, they tend to peter out in long forced drawing lines. I think that's one of the reasons Carlsen is avoiding them : it's not because he lacks memory or calculating skills

this is definitely right. check out the lagrave vs gelfand game from the recent world cup in the exchange grunfeld for a perfect example. pretty sure they were both in preperation right the way through this game.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1729480

nebunulpecal

Most probably Ruy Lopez, QGD, Catalan, and Grunfeld. Maybe Nimzo or Slav, but I don't think Anand will dare to chose them this time.

I don't have many hopes we'll see a Sicilian.

sapientdust

Magnus will play the Bongcloud in game one and lose, but he'll get his king to the other side first and come so close to drawing classically that Anand will be totally demoralized. After losing 2 of the next 4 games and drawing the other 2, Anand will try reverse pyschology and employ the Ammonia Attack (1. Nh3), but Carlsen will play a reversed Bongcloud against it, winning the game according to both Bongcloud and classical chess rules.

All the rest of the games will be draws, and Anand will announce his retirement from chess immediately after the tournament, while Carlsen will announce the foudation of the BCA, an organization dedicated to Bongcloud chess, but he'll return to classical chess within a year after Lenny Bongcloud trounces him a Bongcloud title match.

royalbishop

Your going to see what has worked for them in the past and a couple of unorthodox openings. So i say over all the same old same old.