What well known gambits are unsound?

  • #321

    I has been played numerous online blitz & bullet games against both of them (Soller-Gambit or the Blackburne-Hartlaub-Gambit). Had no reason to complain about opening.

  • #322
    Pacifique wrote:

    I has been played numerous online blitz & bullet games against both of them (Soller-Gambit or the Blackburne-Hartlaub-Gambit). Had no reason to complain about opening.

    OK, you are an experienced player, who will find a refutation OTB with little knowledge or you have been preparing a line against these gambits.

    But on my level its not common...believe me. I wouldnt play these stuff if i get my a.. kicked constantly...iam not a masochist Wink

  • #323
    Dark_Falcon wrote:
    Pacifique wrote:

    I has been played numerous online blitz & bullet games against both of them (Soller-Gambit or the Blackburne-Hartlaub-Gambit). Had no reason to complain about opening.

    OK, you are an experienced player, who will find a refutation OTB with little knowledge or you have been preparing a line against these gambits.

    But on my level its not common...believe me. I wouldnt play these stuff if i get my a.. kicked constantly...iam not a masochist 

    I did not have a need to prepare against such an openings. :)

  • #324
    Pacifique wrote:
    Dark_Falcon wrote:
    Pacifique wrote:

    I has been played numerous online blitz & bullet games against both of them (Soller-Gambit or the Blackburne-Hartlaub-Gambit). Had no reason to complain about opening.

    OK, you are an experienced player, who will find a refutation OTB with little knowledge or you have been preparing a line against these gambits.

    But on my level its not common...believe me. I wouldnt play these stuff if i get my a.. kicked constantly...iam not a masochist 

    I did not have a need to prepare against such an openings. :)

    I suspect this... Cool

  • #325

    thank all of you for reminding me of the joy of playing Gambits. I love gambits....maybe cause I'm aggressive and a little reckless.....lose some games cause of this but it's fun to take risks. I will go back to studying these wonderful gambits you mentioned. thankyou

  • #326

    @Dark_Falcon

    Against the Soller, white can just play 4.e4 and not take the f6 pawn. What do you suggest for Black then? The line is very practical too and not hard to come up with OTB...

    but I have to agree, analyzing the Englund is more fun than analyzing the Albin Tongue out



  • #327
    LavaRook wrote:

    @Dark_Falcon

    Against the Soller, white can just play 4.e4 and not take the f6 pawn. What do you suggest for Black then? The line is very practical too and not hard to come up with OTB...

    but I have to agree, analyzing the Englund is more fun than analyzing the Albin

     



    totally agreed...these e4-lines are very annoying :-)

    The Soller is the only opening i know, where you have a better position with pawn down than with equal material!

  • #328

    After the natural e4 it looks horrible for black.

  • #329
    Fred-Splott wrote:

    After the natural e4 it looks horrible for black.

    I'm guessing you mean 3.e4 (previous post) or 4.e4 (post #387). I play the Englund once in a while as black, for comic relief. But on the white side, just 1.d4 e5 2.e4, and white has no problems. In fact, after 1.d4 e5 2.e4 exd4 3.Bc4, black is practically lost!

  • #330
    melvinbluestone wrote:

    In fact, after 1.d4 e5 2.e4 exd4 3.Bc4, black is practically lost!

    Laughing

  • #331

    Instead of 2. ... exd4(??) play 2. ... Nc6(!!) and black is almost winning! Tongue Out

  • #332
    Turm_Breuberg wrote:

    Instead of 2. ... exd4(??) play 2. ... Nc6(!!) and black is almost winning! 

    Don't you dare give me that tongue-out smiley face! I take umbrage! Seriously, though, you may be right about 2...Nc6. I wouldn't have the guts to play it as black, though. Interesting is 1.d4 e5 2.e4 d6 3.dxe5 Nc6, which I have tried.

  • #333

    You know, getting a theoretical position does not mean it is the strongest move.

    1.d4 e5 2.e4?? is terrible (relatively speaking.. I'm sure it's equal), because white has such a good position after 2.dxe5, and the Center Game is just meh.

    It might be a good thing to do in bullet though, or in a blitz tournament, especially if you know anything at all about the Center Game, because seriously who studies that thing?

  • #334

    Actually, 1.d4 e5 2.e4 Nc6 3.dxe5 Nxe5 4.f4 is quite playable for white.

  • #335
    melvinbluestone wrote:

    Actually, 1.d4 e5 2.e4 Nc6 3.dxe5 Nxe5 4.f4 is quite playable for white.

    But he isn't basically a full pawn up is his point.

  • #336
    mrguy888 wrote:
    melvinbluestone wrote:

    Actually, 1.d4 e5 2.e4 Nc6 3.dxe5 Nxe5 4.f4 is quite playable for white.

    But he isn't basically a full pawn up is his point.

    I see the point. But some players prefer to charge right in and attack, as in the f4 line I mentioned, rather than the more common 2.dxe5 Nc6. Of course, it usually transposes after 1.d4 e5 2.dxe5 Nc6 3.e4 Nxe5 4.f4. I'm not sure what difference the move order makes, except that in the 2.e4 line, white has the option of the (dubious) move 3.d5.         The game Miles-Huebner 1985 went:1. d4 e5 2. dxe5 Qh4 3. Nf3 Qa4 4. Nc3 Qa5 5. e4  draw!?  I wonder if it was some kind of joke......

  • #337

    I recently had White against the Elephant Gambit  1.e4  e5  2. Nf3  d5 and found that by the time I had barely got a good game-I was running out of time--it is a tough gambit to play against if you never experienced it before.

  • #338

    I love playing either side of the Elephant. As white, after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5, I sometimes try 3.d4. I think 3.Nxe5 and 3.exd5 are more common, and probably better. But 3.d4 is playable and often throws black off in fast games. But one time in a bullet game I forgot to take my knight "off-prise" at move four:  1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5 3.d4 dxe4 4.Bc4?? (4.Nxe5) exf3 5.Qxf3 Nf6 6.dxe5 Bg4 7.Qxb7 (I thought I was getting my piece back) Qd1 #...........

  • #339

    Also, the variation of the Soller, 1.d4 e5 2.dxe5 Nc6 3.Nf3 Bc5 (instead of 3...f6 immediately) 4.Nc3 f6, may be an improvement.....

Top
or Join

Online Now