Forums

What's the most frequentlyl mis-played opening by amateurs?

Sort:
ibrokensoul
MSC157 wrote:
ibrokensoul wrote:

i have seen some players as black play 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Qe7 or ...f6 ,i know f6 is bad,but don't know what white should play exactly,i usually play Nxe5 followed by Qh5,i lose most games in middle or end games

I think I saw it once...
evryone i played against took the knight

DonnieDarko1980

An opening that was misplayed by both my opponent and me ... I once played the black side of this French Advance at an OTB tournament. I still perform ritual self-floggings at the anniversaries of this event b/c I missed 5. ... Qa5+ ...

ponz111

I could beat Kramik with Black after 1. e4  e5 2. Nf3  Nc6  3. c3  d5

4. Bb5??

NajdorfDefense

black side of 2 Knights variation - fegatello and it's not even close.

chessmaster102

French Exchange variation: Alot of players Just sorta move around waiting for the draw to come and play very inaccurate and lose.

MSC157
ponz111 wrote:

I could beat Kramik with Black after 1. e4  e5 2. Nf3  Nc6  3. c3  d5

4. Bb5??

Maybe Kramik, but defenitely not Kramnik. 

ponz111

With that opening variation I could beat both Kramik and Kramnik!

MSC157
ponz111 wrote:

With that opening variation I could beat both Kramik and Kramnik!

Sorry, no way. I could manage a draw against you with white pieces. What's so bad in it? Do you lose a queen in forced 20 moves?

MSC157
Pwn-Attak wrote:

A good opening for you to learn would be the parham.

You already posted it 4 hours ago. 

ponz111

Hi, MSC157 I am old and somewhat senile so hesitate to say this but I do not think you could manage a draw against me with the white pieces from that position.

MSC157
ponz111 wrote:

Hi, MSC157 I am old and somewhat senile so hesitate to say this but I do not think you could manage a draw against me with the white pieces from that position.

OK, I've just read your description, so I'm sure now I would not manage a draw :)

But I still think Kramnik would win with white pieces (standard time control, not correspondence).

ClavierCavalier

This is my submission since I've seen white play this no matter what opening black uses!

Primary example:

Example of white ignoring my opening #1 (from a real game):

Example #2 of white ignoring black.  I've seen this many times.

"White abandon's the game"  Oops!  I bet that some people don't see why that's a mistake and then some are pulling their hair out because of it.  :-p

ClavierCavalier
DonnieDarko1980 wrote:

An opening that was misplayed by both my opponent and me ... I once played the black side of this French Advance at an OTB tournament. I still perform ritual self-floggings at the anniversaries of this event b/c I missed 5. ... Qa5+ ...

I've done that a few times, and everytime I do I kick myself for it.  It's a bad move on white's part to try to trade their good bishop off.  In the French Defense, white's king's bishop is very powerful, especially since black's queen's bishop is stuck.

waffllemaster
shepi13 wrote:

Agree Donnie Darko, I see that variation played even by 1800+ players.

You see 3...Bg4 in the philidor from 1800 players?  I need to play chess in your area, I'd be rated 2200 in no time...

ponz111

Hi MSC157. With this position 1. e4  e5  2. Nf3  Nc6  3. c3  d5  4. Bb5  I could beat Kramnik [or anybody] in correspondence chess. In over the board timed chess--it would be close call either way. I could memorize the variations [this would take a while] and If I could do that--my chances would be superior.

It is an opening variation I have studied extensively--at first I thought it was a draw but then someone came out with a win for

black in one of the main lines and I came out with ideas for Black in the other lines.  It is a weird postion because if you just look at the position one would never guess it is theoretically losing for White.

Grandmasters have played 4. Bb5? 

ponz111

Here is another line which if you look at vote chess it has been played more than 4000 times. And to top it off the correct continuations have almost never been given.

blake78613

I would say that most players have no idea what they are doing when they play the St. George defense which has some very deep strategic ideas.

shepi13
waffllemaster wrote:
shepi13 wrote:

You see 3...Bg4 in the philidor from 1800 players?  I need to play chess in your area, I'd be rated 2200 in no time...

Oh, not 1800 OTB, but 1800s on chess.com seem to play it quite frequently against me.

waffllemaster
shepi13 wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:
shepi13 wrote:

Oh, not 1800 OTB, but 1800s on chess.com seem to play it quite frequently against me.

Oh, ok, thank God Laughing