Forums

Who uses the book A Killer Chess Opening Repertoire by GM Summerscale?

Sort:
vinsvis

Hi Everybody,

I've been using this book as a basis of my white opening repertoire. GM Summerscale's idea is to play 3 different systems depending on what black throws at you. 

You play 1.d4 and 2.Nf3 - if black chooses d5 and e6 you play the Colle-Zukertort, if black plays g6 and d5 (Grunfeld ) you play the Barry Attack, and if black plays g6 and d6 (Pirc) you play the 150 Attack.

Furthermore he gives relatively easy to learn answers against the Benoni and the Dutch defence.  

Most ideas in the book I think are excellent, but there are some flaws. For example if black plays an early Bg4, combined with d5 en e6, Summerscale wants you to play the Colle-Zukertort, but this opening doesn't work well against that. So, after trying different things and asking some stronger players, I started to play c4 after Bg4, followed by Qb3, 'punishing' black for leaving b7 undefended. If black responds by Bxf3 I have the 'inbetween-move' Qxb7, and if black plays Qb6 I play c4-c5, Qxb3 axb3 and white has some strong play on the queenside with b4 and the open a-file. 

This example shows there is a lot of interesting stuff to talk about in Summerscale's repertoire. That's why I've created a group:

http://www.chess.com/groups/home/summerscales-killer-opening-repertoire-group 

In general I think Summerscale's book has helped me a lot by saving me a lot of time. I've never had to study the Caro-Kann or the Ruy Lopez or the Nimzo 14 moves deep. That extra time I could spend on tactics, strategy and endgames, and I'm sure that helped me improve quicker. Probably at some point I will have to change repertoire - but I feel like I'm not at that level of chess-proficiency yet. 

(Very) Long story short: if anyone uses this repertoire or just a part of it (or is interested in doing so), I would love for him or her to join the group and improve our chess together by discussing and studying lines and ideas. 

Greetings!

Swindlers_List

dont you get bored?

Lou-for-you

I joined your group. You are doing a nice job. Assault, there is absolutely no way you can get bored with a repertoire around d4 - Nc3. It gives you possibilities like london, veresov, colle zukertort and barry attack, that have one thing in common : attack on the black king. I will mention the group in the veresov group, because they have a similar mindset. It is less boring than studying the reams of theory to end up in positions that you do not like. I like to attack and this repertoire suits me.

Lou-for-you

By the way. To get noticed..

Lou-for-you

You need to get in the hot topics.

vinsvis

Thanks Lou! Maybe, in order to reach the hot topics, we can start offering free coaching lessons ;)

And Assault, would you call this game by GM Hebden boring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwmlsMuiFM

Lou-for-you

We have 3 members !! It must be your cigar :-)

kponds

I don't, but I've recently switched to a C-Z and London System repretoire (London System if black plays for an early kingside fianchetto, and C-Z otherwise).  This is also what Artur Yusupov recommends in his series.

So I am very interested, I may pick up the book or at least look into the Barry/150 attacks (I've never heard of them).

baddogno

Oh great.  Another book I need to read...Laughing

Lou-for-you

Yes the book covers colle-zukertort very well. I use barry attack against fianchetto and veresov against more traditional openings. I especially like to play against the french opening and this happens a lot also. Which book by yusupov are you referring to?

TetsuoShima

i only watched his dvd, but i liked how he said: and if you opponent tries to bore you to death with the queens indian... shame all those tricks dont work anymore

Barricadeee

I tried his suggested opening repertoire, but i guess it didnt suit my style too much....

I like a bit more mess in the opening, even if i find myself out of the book pretty soon

TetsuoShima

i cant judge his quality but i found his dvd very interesting back then. Also interesting that he made the video 7 hours long

Lou-for-you

Wow, the group has grown by 800 percent over a couple of hours. Even apple does not grow at that speed...

Barricadeee

What is his dvd? where can i find it?

TetsuoShima

its called d4 dynamite. There are a lot of online stores that have it, but i dont know what store is especially good so you might check that out for yourself. But the dvd is already older....

vinsvis
kponds wrote:

I don't, but I've recently switched to a C-Z and London System repretoire (London System if black plays for an early kingside fianchetto, and C-Z otherwise).  This is also what Artur Yusupov recommends in his series.

So I am very interested, I may pick up the book or at least look into the Barry/150 attacks (I've never heard of them).

Hi kponds, which series by Yusupov do you mean? Because I'd be interested ;) And if you like, our group is starting a team match in the London system, and a vote chess game following Summerscale's repertoire. 

VLaurenT
vinsvis wrote:
kponds wrote:

Hi kponds, which series by Yusupov do you mean? Because I'd be interested ;) And if you like, our group is starting a team match in the London system, and a vote chess game following Summerscale's repertoire. 

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/yusupovs-award-winning-training-course

vinsvis

Edit: Thanks for the link hicetnunc. I just started that series (almost done with the first orange one), but hadn't seen any concrete opening suggestions. I read a little through the thread you posted and found the answer: apparently the green books involve the mentioned openings.

kponds

Yes the white 1. d4 repretoire is in, I believe the last green book.