Why is Philidor's Defence so popular at < 1300 levels?

goodgoodgood
It’s probably the same players who play 2.Bc4 in the Sicilian.
riuryK

With no offense, at beginners level one tends to make a lot of pawn moves, and avoid captures. I think that kind of makes 2...d6 a very logic defensive move.

hursha6b5
BurntMagnesium wrote:

I've always wondered which move is better between 5. Nf3 and 5.Nb3 after 4....c5. If anyone has an answer with an explanation, please do give it
 

Nb5 is also a plan

hursha6b5
riuryK wrote:

With no offense, at beginners level one tends to make a lot of pawn moves, and avoid captures. I think that kind of makes 2...d6 a very logic defensive move.

Beginners love to trade

catdogorb

Same sort of phenomenon. Every time I've ever seen this opening online, it's played wrong. Very close to 100% of the time.

 

 

Smositional
riuryK wrote:

With no offense, at beginners level one tends to make a lot of pawn moves, and avoid captures. I think that kind of makes 2...d6 a very logic defensive move.

I agree. Nc6 would develop a piece and beginners don't do that.

TS_theWoodiest

I think it's because beginners tend to only see the side of the board where the last move was made. They usually have no clue the knight that's on the other side of the board can come out and defend the pawn.

Smositional

In the end it doesn't matter why beginners do this or that. At the end of the day both players have to find the best moves. Even if black plays some suspicious moves that means nothing if nobody can exploit it.

SmyslovFan

1300 is about the average rating in the USCF, and is higher than average here. 

BurntMagnesium
catdogorb wrote:
BurntMagnesium wrote:

I've always wondered which move is better between 5. Nf3 and 5.Nb3 after 4....c5. If anyone has an answer with an explanation, please do give it
 

Nf5 with the idea of Ne3-d5 (or c4) or Ne2 with Nf4-d5 are the logical choices. It's all about the backward d pawn and the square in front of it (d5).

You can / should also play Bb5+ first to trade off the light square bishops. That way you get increased control over d5 (also black's light squares are weak).

 

That was a really good answer, tysm. The idea of getting a knight to d5 never occurred to me, although I did try to attack d6 (not always to great effect though). Again, thanks a lot!

BurntMagnesium
TS_theWoodiest wrote:

I think it's because beginners tend to only see the side of the board where the last move was made. They usually have no clue the knight that's on the other side of the board can come out and defend the pawn.

This I realised is so true! It has happened to me so many times that I lost just cuz I wasn't paying enough attention.