Forums

Which to choose?

Sort:
AlCzervik

This topic may have been addresed previously, so, forgive me, but this seems easier. Especially after I describe my situation. I would like to buy a book or two on openings, but I have no idea what to get. I'm asking for help.

I have been on this site playing regularly for 7 months. My rating has steadily increased but now I seem stalled between 1600-1650. I've gotten to this point with my basic knowledge of the principles. My problem is with openings. I have been told I'm using this or that opening in games, and that is the only awareness I have of them. I'm sure I go "offline" with said openings quickly because I'm unaware of their potential.

I welcome all serious (and humorous) responses.

LavaRook

Well what repertoire are you looking at?

And don't forget about good databases.

AlCzervik

First, sorry I butchered the title!

Repertoire? Well, I like to play aggressively.

I'm unaware of databases.

rooperi

I also think a good database is better than books.

I would never have said that 5 years ago.

rooperi
TMIMITW wrote:

First, sorry I butchered the title!

Repertoire? Well, I like to play aggressively.

I'm unaware of databases.

Download a good free interface, like Arena or Scid.

Download a large free collection of games, and see what the experts play.

LavaRook

Databases are awesome. Basically, a database is a collection of games that you can view through a GUI.

They are useful for studying master games and developing a repertoire as well as more things. There are some free ones out there but the best one (imo) is CB 11 with MegaBase (4.5M+ games with 60K annotated) which dates back all the way to 1500s with Greco vs. NN to the present. Very expensive though.

And you say you are aggressive but what first move do you want? 1.d4 or 1.e4. (And yes, you can play 1.d4 aggresively)

Through databases though, you have to do more work yourself than with a GOOD book.

LavaRook

And you seem to be a premium member to try using the Chess.com game collection.

AlCzervik
LavaRook wrote

And you say you are aggressive but what first move do you want? 1.d4 or 1.e4. (And yes, you can play 1.d4 aggresively)

Through databases though, you have to do more work yourself than with a GOOD book.

I've used many different 1st moves, but usually either e4 or d4 as white. I don't understand your "more work" comment". Isn't it learning either way? Also, I'm lost on openings as black. I seem to respond as opposed to making the opponent think.

AlCzervik
LavaRook wrote:

And you seem to be a premium member to try using the Chess.com game collection.

I don't know about any game collection. I've gone to chess openings here, but almost all named openings are 1 or 2 moves. That seems kind of worthless.

stale

Don, ol' lad, get yourself scid http://scid.sourceforge.net/index.html , it's free albeit a bit complicated to use at first but you'll find many good tutorials on the net. Also check out http://www.365chess.com for an easy online database (10 dollars per annum and well worth it), you can use this standalone or in cunjunction with scid, the two are really complimentary.

This is much cheaper and far more versatile than buying books. Master the technique and you'll never look back, just wish i had been told this years ago before going off half cocked and investing in worthless paper material.