13443 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Backgammon, Yatzy, and more!
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
Hi ladies and gentle people,
Who do u think are the worlds best 10 player of all time? I for instance researched in internet and came up with these reults, of course these results are debatable. Capablanca and Kasparov should get 1st and second respectivly. There had been research that kasparov is slightly better than capablanca in some cases. And 3rd place I think should go to Botvinik 3 times world champion. Stienez comes 4th, Alekhine 5th, Karpov 6th, Fischer comes 7th,Larsen comes next, Nezmetdinov a player which I do not know about comes next , and lasker one of my favourite players comes 10th. U may think why Paul Morphy didnt come to top ten,the person who wrote this article explains that Morphy didnt win strong enough players, of couse it is possible for him to be the greatest player of all time, It's like telling Kasparov is great with only playing with IMs. Anyway I want u guys to come up with top 10 players that u think r greatest of all time.
While his findings may be debatable Jeff Sonas’ Chessmetrics website offers interesting analysis: http://db.chessmetrics.com/
Be sure to visit his old site too at: http://db.chessmetrics.com/OldIndex.html
My own list of the top ten
capa,kasparov, fischer, karpov, spassky, smyslov, tal, alekhine, lasker, petrosian
Sure, you've got your Kasparov, Fischer, Capablanca and Morphy etc..., all wonderful players, but for my money nobody beats Grandpappy Driftwood!
1. Fischer - If he had continued to play he would be without question number one. He dominated his opponents including as I remember a couple of 6-0 match wins over Taimanov and Larsen in the 1971 candidates matches.
2. Kasparov - Dominated world class chess for over 15 years and achieved the highest elo rating ever with 2851.
3. Karpov - If it hadn't been for Kasparov, Karpov would have been World Champion probably until Kramnik or Anand came along.
4. Botvinnik - As previously mentioned, he was World Champion three times, he had probably the best endgame technique of his temporaries and dominated them for over a decade.
5. Capablanca - Didn't study openings but still completely destroyed all his competition until Alekhine came and snatched the title away. It's interesting that Alekhine tried to avoid a rematch with Capablanca by playing Bogoljubow and Euwe. Maybe he knew he would lose to a Capablanca looking to reclaim his crown.
6. Korchnoi - IMO the best player to never win the world championship, he was prevented from the title by the surfacing of Karpov and Kasparov who held the title up until 2000.
7. Lasker - Knew how to use psychology over the board to his advantage. Sometimes, he would play purposefully bad moves to confuse his opponent. It may seem like this wouldn't work in top level chess, but he did hold the world championship for 27 years, a year shorter than Kasparov, Karpov, and Fischer combined.
8. Petrosian - One of the hardest players to defeat, he was the epitome of positional chess.
9. Tal - Crazy sacrifices, a tactical genius; his games always appeased the crowd.
10. Alekhine - The only person in the history of the world championship to die with the title, his span as world champion was interupted only by Euwe in somewhat of a fluke.
My top ten list: (This is not neccessarily my order of favorite players, but how strong I believe they were.)
9.Jose Raul Capablanca
I agree with world chess champion.
Interesting that you'd rate Petrosian over Fischer. Fischer beat him pretty handily in their match.
Although I certainly wouldn't argue that he doesn't deserve elite ranking.
Im suprised that most of the people didnt put morphy into top ten
Lasker, i did a small essay on why i believe lasker is number one its posted out there somewhere
Anand/Kramnik/Topalov (time will tell)
the best of the rest include...Steintz, Tarrasch, Marshall, Pilsbury, Nimzo, Bogo, Smyslov, Petrosian, Keres, Tal, Karpov, Bronstein, Larsen, Ivanchuck, Geller, Gulko, Adolf Andersseen, Philador, that french guy LaBordanis (sp?) and Judit Polgar...lets not forget the greatest amature of all time MAX EUWE!
had too many on my list. I had a hard time deciding who's in and who's out.
um... Capablanca went 8 consecutive years undefeated which was pretty good. Fischer was a loser- he won the title then REFUSED to defend it because he was afraid of losing it so in a way, Fischer barely deserves top ten recognition even though he was brilliant. Lasker is one of my favourites too.
Fischer had his reasons, I believe. besides he was willing to defend his title. he had games with Boris Spassky in Japan (when he was imprisoned). I believe he deserves to be recognized.
I do not agree with u. The last championship fischer played was held in a country wich America banned to go to, but Fischer disobeyed and went to play the championship and became the world champion by beating Boris Spassky. then He had to flee because The USA government was after him. he died recently I think in iceland or some other country. U should see the film searching for Bobby Fischer then ull understand.
The match was played in iceland and i meerly pointed out that the film searching for bobby fischer states that fischer wasnt afraid to keep his title, but the politcs made him flee to other countries.
One Win Wondering?
by bgjettguitar a few minutes ago
how do I find daily players
by Jcon1152 2 minutes ago
When Should You Open the Center?
by Dale 5 minutes ago
Chess.com is a joke
by bgjettguitar 6 minutes ago
Are all chess players insane?
by bgjettguitar 9 minutes ago
7/25/2016 - What Must Be Done
by BryanCFB 12 minutes ago
Dangerous flaw in block member system
by Whip_Kitten 15 minutes ago
by EscherehcsE 16 minutes ago
Daily Puzzle Submissions! *Be Involved*
by incorrectname 22 minutes ago
The All-In-One chess post
by Bawker 23 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2016 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!