Best 10 Player Of All time

jpd303
HotFlow wrote:

It seems somewhat impossible to compare players from different ages, because the game has moved on.  I'd bet any average master of today would take apart a lot of the "greats" of a time gone by. 

see my last comment...chessmetrics has allowed us to rate old masters to some degree of accuracy...most of this disscussion is opinion and imagination...just imagine if Lasker and Kasparov were given the exact same information (take away Kasparovs computer or give Lasker one and teach him to use it ect) who would win?  I say Lasker


quequeg

define ' best' otherwise all the answers are meaningless!  highest rating of the time? most wins against the strongest players around? longest reign as world champion? most tournament successes? etc?

jpd303
quequeg wrote:

define ' best' otherwise all the answers are meaningless!  highest rating of the time? most wins against the strongest players around? longest reign as world champion? most tournament successes? etc?


 highest rating is easy, Kasparov.  most consecutive wins vs strongest players = Steintz...longest reign = Lasker...most tournaments = Karpov...longest without losing a game = Capa (8 years without losing ONE GAME!)...so by best i guess we mean strongest vs their contemporaries, or who do you believe would win if pitted vs each other all things being equal in fantasy land

goldendog

Longest winning streak vs. very strong players...Fischer. No one has approached him yet.

rigamagician

Fischer, Kasparov, Lasker, Capablanca, Karpov, Alekhine, Anand, Kramnik, Botvinnik, Tal

Morphymaster

Morphy, Fischer, Capablanca, Tal, Kasparov, Karpov, Kramnik, Anand, Lasker, Anderssen.

jpd303
goldendog wrote:

Longest winning streak vs. very strong players...Fischer. No one has approached him yet.


 Steintz had 28 wins consecutive and Kasparov had 24 whats Bobby's record?

gabisubis
jpd303 wrote:
goldendog wrote:

Longest winning streak vs. very strong players...Fischer. No one has approached him yet.


 Steintz had 28 wins consecutive and Kasparov had 24 whats Bobby's record?


 Huh ? When did Kasparov win 24 games in a row ?????

Mrwed

To put Bobby Fischer any lower than 2cd is ridiculous. He and Kasparov are unquestionably the top two.

Ranking Morphy and Lasker with any modern player is anachronistic. It's like comparing quill pen and papyrus to figure Pi and a supercomputer. (Oh Yeh, why don't you include Deep Blue on the list.

Ian_Sinclair

What about some of the many past great players and champions? like Phillidor?, Morphy?, Steintz, Mikhal Tal?, Capablanca?, Lasker?, Fischer?, Alekine? and the list can go on and on. All these players have added something to this great game that has benefited us all so to suggest anyone of these truly great players is better then any other would come from a purely biased opinion.

Ian_Sinclair

Have u done the history of some of the other greats as much as u have Fischer? All you will get is opinions of favourites! 

I don't believe in all honesty that any of these has been more important then any other great champions( My opinion here). I have no doubt that in Morphy's time he was the Bobby Fischer of the day same as Lasker was for his and Capablanca was for his and so on.

Ian_Sinclair
Mrwed wrote:

To put Bobby Fischer any lower than 2cd is ridiculous. He and Kasparov are unquestionably the top two.

Ranking Morphy and Lasker with any modern player is anachronistic. It's like comparing quill pen and papyrus to figure Pi and a supercomputer. (Oh Yeh, why don't you include Deep Blue on the list.


 Yes why don't we see how well they would have done without the past players knowledge and input into chess understanding that we take for granted today and say they are better players then the past ones who had to develop these skills. Your argument is ridiculous and bios'ed Sir!

gabisubis
Mrwed wrote:

To put Bobby Fischer any lower than 2cd is ridiculous. He and Kasparov are unquestionably the top two.

Ranking Morphy and Lasker with any modern player is anachronistic. It's like comparing quill pen and papyrus to figure Pi and a supercomputer. (Oh Yeh, why don't you include Deep Blue on the list.


 Why did he wet his pants before Karpov if he was so strong ? He could not say he was surprised,according to Tal he had foreseen Karpov's rise and sent his mother to shoot pictures of him ! Fischer wanted to study his morphology.

BaronDerKilt

There is the Question of Best at What Chess. Chess now is so different than even in the 70's that I think greatly different skills are needed. Consider a GM now unveiling a great improvement .... its across the world in less than a day. Never to be used again with surprise vs another top player. Computers now generating new moves.

So do you pick the Best vs their contemporaries? Or the best for strength & knowlege ever? Still must Strongly disagree with the idea above that an "average master" today could "take apart the greats" of yesterday. They were still best in their world, and possess superior abilities, even analytical, to any average Master imo. Few Masters will ever play a game like some that Anderssen produced. (And Morphy crushed him, remember?) Or Marshall for that matter, not a WC but only a contender but a USA Champ who could draw Capa.

I like seeing everyones thoughts on it. I think I get too biased and tend to pick players of closer to my own style and leave out the Capa or Petrosian types, mostly. Tho I know Petro could be a viscious attacker when riled, I go with Karpov over him as better attacker, and all around.

So with my bias, perhaps:

Fischer, Kasparov, Karpov, Tal, Botvinnik, Spassky, Alekhine and then it gets hard :) I'd like to see what Anand, Topalov and Carlson do before finishing it out. Wink Otherwise Bronstein and Korchnoi stay in mind, tho not WC's.

brandonQDSH

TOP 10 BEST of ALL TIME:

1. Rybka

2. Fritz

3. HIARCS

4. Shredder

5. Chessmaster's The King

6. Zappa

7. Chess Tiger

8. Fischer (because he didn't lose to Deep Blue)

9. Deep Blue

10 Garry Kasparov

THEWHITEFOX
oinquarki wrote:

Top 10 Chess Players in Order of Best to Worst:

1. My cat

2. The ice cream man

3. The author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. Sir Gawain

5. Frodo Baggins

6. The actor that played Frodo Baggins

7. A pack of peanut M&Ms

8. Barack Obama

9. Garry Kasparov

10. Rybka

17 1/2. Me (because that's my lucky number)


 Your cat?

immortalgamer

They are probably all unknown.  People who took other roads and never wasted their time in the pursuit of chess greatness.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think chess is a complete waste of time :)

lobosolo21

Let's begin with the "Uncrowned Ones" P.Morphy , P.Keres; follow it by W.Steinitz (He deserves his place),J.R. Capablanca (The Latin Lover of Chess) E. Lasker (The Old Lion),A.A.Alekhine ( The Most Apassionated Lover of Caissa),Mikhail Thal (The Tactical Wizard),B.Spassky ( The Amiable Master of Leningrad and his chameleonic playing style),Tigran V. Petrosian (My Chess Idol) and of course...Garri K. Kaspárov

gabisubis
immortalgamer wrote:

They are probably all unknown.  People who took other roads and never wasted their time in the pursuit of chess greatness.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think chess is a complete waste of time :)


Wise words Laughing

Sure it's a waste of time,just like playing music or painting.

But the fact we can waste our time freewillingly (hmmm does that word exist ?) makes us human beings,I think Wink

immortalgamer

I agree 100% that I can find pleasure in the art of a game by a great one...or even some of my best games.  No doubt about it. 

However, I feel like the transcendent nature of Michelangelo's "David" or Da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" or Picasso's "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" somehow enrich the culture and the world more.  This is 100% subjective.  I love chess!  However, I do feel like we miss the greatness of players like Dr. Emanuel Lasker, who mathematician (first), philosopher (second) and was also the World Chess Champion.

“Chess holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain
so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
(Albert Einstein)

“Chess is a foolish expedient for making idle people believe they are
doing something very clever when they are only wasting their time”
(George Bernard Shaw)

But I still love this game! Smile