Forums

Best player to never become world champion ever!

Sort:
brankz
JMB2010 wrote:

Lol, Korchnoi definitely deserves a spot. Even if Korchnoi didn't have any talent, he accomplished all that he did by hard work.

that's a ridiculous statement that can't possibly be true. you don't get to be within the top 3 in the world in something without having some kind of natural predisposition for it. it's just not possible. studying/training in chess can bring most everyone to at least 2200-2300. anything above this is probably due to something more than just study/training alone. Korchnoi was a super gm of his time rated above 2600. of course his name tops this list and he should have won that first match.

adamstask

all of the above, and Bent Larsen. 

adamstask
cleocamy wrote:

It used to be that I would also mention Korchnoi but after hearing that Spassky didn't think he had any talent, I have to go with the opinion of someone who was World Champion and would know what it takes.

Spassky was known as a gentleman but even gentlemen can act like jerks sometimes. Korchnoi, on the other hand, wasn't liked by many and had few friends, among them Bronstein, who was punished by the Soviets for assisting Korchnoi in the matches with Karpov. I'm reading about Korchnoi now and--gruff and perhaps unlikebale personality aside--- he was almost certainly the highest performing modern supergrandmaster to never win the world championship. 

beardogjones

Magna Carl

IDASP

Chigorin, Morphy, and Khalifman

DarknisMetalDragon
IDASP wrote:

Khalifman was world champion

bobbyDK

qoute from wiki:

Bent Larsen a candidate for the World Chess Championship on four occasions, reaching the semi final three times. He had multiple wins over all seven World Champions who held the title from 1948 to 1985: Mikhail Botvinnik, Vasily Smyslov, Mikhail Tal, Tigran Petrosian, Boris Spassky, Bobby Fischer, and Anatoly Karpov.

that should make him a candidate, at least mentioned.

MrDamonSmith

Borislav Ivanov. Uh, I mean the great Shoedini.

bobbyDK
IDASP skrev:

does Morphy count the forum says while the title existed.

and the title was first official 1886 and Morphy died 1884.

konhidras

hmm..no AKiba Rubinstein?

DelayedResponse

Hikaru Nakamura!

lucena111
angrybirdstar hat geschrieben:

Hikaru Nakamura!

Lol yes, his endgameskills with K,N,B against K are legendary, and certainly worthy of a world champ ...

MDJMASTER

Me

DelayedResponse

Not any one on this site!