Forums

Chess in St. Peteersburg russia

Sort:
NPaleveda

anyone live in St. petersburg russia- I am going there from aug 10-20 2013and looking for games 

tondeaf

St. Petersburg, Poland...it's all the same, right?

TetsuoShima
NPaleveda wrote:

anyone live in St. petersburg russia- I am going there from aug 10-20 2013and looking for games 

why not just visiting a chess club in st petersburg i bet they have many masters there.

tondeaf

Chess is the universal language ;)

Rsava

You could try these places, perhaps.

http://www.bs-chess.com/latin/clubs/spb/spbclubs.html

schlechter55

there is a famous chess club in St. Ptersburg, it is located in a street crossing  Nevski prospekt. I do not remember the name of the street, but many people can tell you. When I saw the long row of fotos of players who came from that club, I was very impressed. Karpov, Kortchnoi, Furman, Spasski...

The club was open every day when I visited it many years ago.

TetsuoShima

Nevski prospect somehow reminds me of KGB or where do i know that from?? sorry to hijack the forum, but im really curious Nevski prospekt really rings bells in my mind

schlechter55

yeah, the name is from a Russian Tsar who lived in the early midages.

The street is known under that name since it was built, in 18th century.

Probably you saw some bad movies, with sinisterr RRussianss with that awfulll accent. 

johndev1
tondeaf wrote:

St. Petersburg, Poland...it's all the same, right?

No, St Peterburg is in Russia. Poland is a totally different country...

johndev1

I misunderstood your request. I thought that you were looking for games in Russia. That is why I suggested the web site but Poland is not Russia. Poland is a separate country.

Incidentally, if you are a games enthusiast searching for quality chess products, you can check out www.polishchess.com

schlechter55

you will hardly find a street name in Poland named after a Russian Tsar, lol.

johndev1
schlechter55 wrote:

you will hardly find a street name in Poland named after a Russian Tsar, lol.

Very true...

NPaleveda

In any event I found a club...the picture is from the club.

joesoft

I will be in St. Petersburg 24th of June, for a couple of days. Could anyone willing to play a Nigerian - me contact me? WhatsApp +2347034533766. IG joesoftmdos