Forums

Did Karpov ever sacrificed a piece of initiative?

Sort:
waffllemaster
Elubas wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:
Elubas wrote:

No, it's actually a straightforward win -- the difficulty is considering the concept, because it's so striking. I actually played this position (it was a quiz) against a computer, without knowing the solution, and I just played normal moves, completely oblivious to ...Bh3 the entire time. What's funny is that even the computer never suggested the move. If you would have found this move, then you're a great player, because I didn't after taking plenty of time. Of course, it's easier once you have seen something like this before or are very familiar with the concept of doing anything to get a strong king position.

I remember I got Morphy's famous opera game mate in a puzzle once and spent about 20 minutes before giving up :)  I think though that his opponent didn't find the best defensive moves, and so I was having a lot of trouble finding the point.

And yet the Opera Game combination I was able to find :)

Very nice! Smile

When I looked up the solution I was like... wait a minute, I know this game lol

waffllemaster

Yes, magnificent game, the kind of game you think white must have screwed up... but somehow black is lost... makes me feel like a beginner who knows nothing, great game.

pfren wrote:
The correct answer is of course that in the proper position, Karpov would throw the kitchen sink to you...

I was thinking this.   Let me (or anyone rated 600 points below him) play Karpov and you'll see some wild and crushing sacrifices.

Heh, if we played enough games pfren you could probably produce some really pretty wins.

Elubas
waffllemaster wrote:

pfren wrote:
The correct answer is of course that in the proper position, Karpov would throw the kitchen sink to you...

I was thinking this.   Let me (or anyone rated 600 points below him) play Karpov and you'll see some wild and crushing sacrifices.

Heh, if we played enough games pfren you could probably produce some really pretty wins.

Yeah. I think what some people don't realize is that a lot of the "dull" chess you may see when two grandmasters play each other are like that because they play wisely enough to keep their kings safe. I'm sure that both players are constantly rejecting all sorts of lines because they foresee the attacking opportunities of their opponent so well. The result is that neither side makes a mistake large enough for any of the crazy variations the grandmasters were dreaming up to actually occur on the board.

Wafflemaster, all you would have to do is play a computer, and there would be plenty of fireworks :)

And that Karpov game... that alone should convince everyone that Karpov was not shy about the sacrifice. The difference between him and Tal is that Tal would play any sacrifice; Karpov would only play the sound ones :)

I just remembered another excellent example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKpE4knki8Y

gabrielconroy

I've been looking through some of Karpov's games as a result of this thread and came across this gem I hadn't seen before. I guess this isn't so much a sacrifical attack as just a strong tactical combination, but it's enjoyable to watch all the same.

Karpov's calm, supremely positional style vs Topalov's aggression is always likely to yield an interesting game, and this one didn't disappoint.

Elubas

Something about his play just seems so tight, and yet he still plays brilliant tactical moves -- it's like you know that every time Karpov tries a sacrifice, it will work :)

tonifa

against Topalov Linares 1994 he sacrifice a piece during a couple of moves and he made a double exchange sacrifice during the game

atarw
[COMMENT DELETED]
renumeratedfrog01

Sealed