Forums

Favorite GM authors

Sort:
Daniel3

Which GM author do you consider to be the most informative? Which one helped you the most with your chess development, and what did you like about them? Was it their writing style, insight, humor, analysis? 

My personal favorites include Yasser Seirawan and vladimir Vukovic. Vladimir might not be as funny as yasser, but he had superb understanding of the attack and how to conduct it. His book has been helping me a lot.

So, who's your favorite author and why?

Mimchi

SEIRAWAN!!! I LOVE HIS STYLE AND HIS ENTHUSIASM FOR THE GAME!Laughing

goldendog

Tartakover is memorably witty.

NotKasparov

Bhat.

Really.  I love his articles.  And I don't have to pay for them  (yeeha!)

lastwarrior2010

SEIRAWAN!!!

gumpty

If you haven't already check out the chess books by John Nunn, they are all fantastic!

Eternal_Patzer

Anything by John Watson, but especially his Series on the Openings (3 vol published and #4 pending) 

OK, he's not a GM, (he's an IM) but he outwrites nearly all of them Tongue out

spoiler1

Bruce Pandolfini

I like to go over the games in chess life, he does not overanalize.

fleiman

Bronstein.

santiR

I like Neil McDonald, he's very clear and concise.  also CHernev, although he's a bit too stuck to the rules.  But funny in his old way.

rooperi

My favourite will always be Tartakower. great annotations, sense of humour and sense of drame "Duelling with rapiers on the edge of a precipice"

BaronDerKilt

Larry Evans of course. Never seen him print a Chess mistake yet. Bronstein was very good to read too, for a games collection.

Laughingknight

mine is horsley Vaughn stag, he played the four knights opening while slurping on a frosty from wendy's.