Forums

GM Wesley So No-Loss Record Vs GMs with 2700+ rating

Sort:
joeyj

Barangay Wesley (described by Coach GM Susan Polgar, as one of the most amazing chess fans from the Philippines),  i.e. Grandmaster Wesley So’s worldwide fans and supporters,  whose main headquarters at chessgames.com with sitios atchess.com and Pacland @ pinoygreats.com been vouching for quite sometime that this 18-year-old Philippine prodigy, GM Wesley So,  to-date do have a ‘No-Loss’ record in ‘Standard Chess‘ against 2700+ International Grandmasters, most often called unofficially as ‘hyper’ or ‘hydra’ GMs.  ’No-Loss‘, meaning, he had not incurred a single game loss against any of the Hyper-GMs when they were officially @ 2700+ FIDE rating at the time he played them.

Read more:

http://chessaccount.wordpress.com/chess-records/gm-wesley-so-no-loss-record-vs-gms-with-2700-rating/

zxb995511

Wesley So has BARELY played against 2700 GMs.

joeyj

There were 32 games played Vs 2700+ GMs (5-Wins, 27-Draws, No-loss) !

Monster_with_no_Name

but he has lost plenty to 2500's

DimebagDerek

His Death Match was impressive to watch.  The kid is really talented.

LastImpression

hmm, I could have sworn naiditsch was 27xx when he beat wesley in the french league

Changu

Did he already play gm robson?how did that go?his ok he is,just lacks that consistency,and his growing older every year.

LastImpression
pfren wrote:

He has lost against Karjakin last year, and three times against Volodya Malakhov (at their 2009 Khanty-Mansyisk match). Still a very good performance.

IIRC, wesley and karjakin drew the classical matches, and sergey won in the rapid tiebreaks. Probably the same thing with Malakhov.

konhidras

Despite the lack or real great coaches and up-to date books in our country. Im surprised he made it this far. There are lots of strong players in the philippines who didnt make it as far as he did.They lacked the sponsors and proper backings. And had to abandon chess for other means or play high-stakes games to make ends meet. Spending fare and travels from their own pockets is a torment. At least Wesley came from a well to do family beside tha fact that he is also brilliant. I hope he becomes a world champion someday and bring glory to a chess-hero-hungered country.

rooperi
FirebrandX wrote:
Shadowknight911 wrote:

No wonder why a guy like Caruana would "defect" from the US.

I believe he retains dual citizenship, but yeah, there was better support being offered from Italy. I think this all still stems from the US feeling a little 'burnt' by how Fischer turned out after he won the title. There was huge interest in supporting chess here, but after Fischer's fall from grace,  it has dried up to nothing. The country doesn't seem interested in risking another venture into the chess world.

Geez, it's been decades, maybe time to "get over it", lol

konhidras

I sometimes see it this way: Chessbooks probably 3 books costing around 40 dollars, travel probably around 2000 dollars depending if its abroad or at home if at home maybe around 200 dollars. Hotel and accomodations maybe around 150 dollars for a 25 dollars a day cheap hotel. Food around 25 dollars for a healthy breakfast slimmey lunch and dinner of leafy vegetables. The winnings? You got to be kidding me. You still expect to win? Goodluck!

LastImpression

when I look at wes's games, I feel like a lot of times he goes for the safer lines, he'd rather draw the match than try something innovative and risk losing. hence the record.

ultrajohn

he just lost against lagrave in spice cup.

joeyj

Finally ...
Wesley So No-Loss record Vs 2700+ ends at #42

Read more:
http://chessaccount.wordpress.com/chess-records/wesley-so-no-loss-record-vs-2700-ends-at-42/

joeyj

LastImpression 

hmm, I could have sworn naiditsch was 27xx when he beat wesley in the french league

Naiditsch was @ 2698 then at The 2012 French Team Chess Championship

WesleySosnipes

impressive performaces in almost all tournaments he's bee to...

ghostofmaroczy

Wesley So quit the Philippine Chess Federation.

He is sitting out the Olympiad because he is required to wait two years.

Will the USA accept Wesley into their Chess Federation?

FoxForceFive

When is the two years over?

Superqueen500
joeyj wrote:

LastImpression 

Naiditsch was @ 2698 then at The 2012 French Team Chess Championship

The same naiditsch beat Carlsen at the WCO and he was so immodest about it.... that asshole.

blueemu

Jeeze... even I've got a no-loss record vs 2700+ GMs (and yes, I did play one, back in 1988).

Of course, that was just a rare fluke. I'm no Wesley So.