Greatest Chess Master in History

ghost_of_pushwood

Now I want pizza and popcorn.

ghost_of_pushwood

(Of course, that's usually true.)

Ziryab

And beer.

Manatini
ghost_of_pushwood wrote:

(Of course, that's usually true.)

haha happy.png

Manatini
Ziryab wrote:
ghost_of_pushwood wrote:

I've always wondered if they have Camp Camps.

 

A local kid here spent a week in California at an all day camp a few years ago. I don't know if there was a residential aspect. My camps have been "half-day" (three hours) affairs. The kids are sometimes bored with chess by Thursday. It's a lot of work to keep them entertained. This year, I did it with popcorn and pizza. While showing Morphy's Opera game, I described Black's king's rook as drinking Pepsi and eating popcorn while the king's bishop was guzzling Coke and eating pizza. The rest of camp, the kids remembered that bishops like pizza and rooks like popcorn. I wanted them to remember that chess pieces need activity.

Ugh, working with kids sounds hard.

I remember Silman's story about arranging a tournament where you have to make 10 legal moves without blundering. That's it. He gave some lecture about not blundering then they start their clocks... he walks by and sees one game that goes something like:

 

And then a little kid walked up and kicks him in the balls... and while hes on the ground he realizes this is the last time he's going to work with kids lol.

Ziryab

Silman's examples have always struck me as a little extreme. I've taught kids to chess for 20 years. There's been plenty of horrid chess and even worse behavior, but on balance it is rewarding to watch the young kids grow. For many, chess helps them develop balanced and productive lives while teaching them a little about sportsmanship and self-improvement.

ghost_of_pushwood

And hustling games for quarters in the park!

autobunny
Ziryab wrote:

Silman's examples have always struck me as a little extreme. I've taught kids to chess for 20 years. There's been plenty of horrid chess and even worse behavior, but on balance it is rewarding to watch the young kids grow. For many, chess helps them develop balanced and productive lives while teaching them a little about sportsmanship and self-improvement.

Perhaps a forgotten prerequisite is to actually like kids in the first place. 

Manatini

I like kids when they're in a good mood. Does that count? tongue.png

autobunny
Manatini wrote:

I like kids when they're in a good mood. Does that count?

Kids are almost always in a good mood after you remove the electronics 

Manatini

But not immediately after you remove the electronics, right? wink.png

Manatini

That's an interesting point though... hmm.

I've never seen a melancholy kid.

autobunny
Manatini wrote:

But not immediately after you remove the electronics, right?

That point is often where the variance in reactions is greatest 

autobunny
Manatini wrote:

That's an interesting point though... hmm.

I've never seen a melancholy kid.

Adults just forget how to be happy and think they need stuff to get them there. 

Manatini

Well, that's the optimistic view. All adults were kids once, whether they've forgotten something or learning something, who's to say tongue.png

autobunny

The bunny 😜

Manatini

happy.png

Manatini

At least there are people I don't despise on this site.

Too bad the forums are full of kids--

(maybe I don't like kid as much as I thought I did)

autobunny
Manatini wrote:

At least there are people I don't despise on this site.

Too bad the forums are full of kids--

(maybe I don't like kid as much as I thought I did)

Remember, kids on the forum are around electronics.

Manatini

So it's selfish of me to not consider their environment? I'm not sure I care. I'll have to think about it tongue.png

But in general I admit it seems I'm a rather contentious b@stard who readily finds fault with just about anything. Most of my posts are correcting or disagreeing with someone.