Have Prodigy, Go All In. From 2322 and 0 Norms to GM in 16 Months. D. Gukesh

SeniorPatzer

"In October 2017, Gukesh was a talented youngster with a rating of 2322 and no norms. In 16 months, he scored three IM norms, three GM norms, pumped up his rating to 2500 and became the second youngest GM in the history of the game."

D. Gukesh achieved it today on Jan. 15, 2019 at the age of 12 years, 7 months, and 17 days becoming the 2nd youngest player to ever achieve the GM title behind Sergey Karjakin.

"The family went all in. Whatever money they had they put it in chess, they took the risk and it paid off. Somehow Gukesh's story is very similar to that Magnus Carlsen and his family who left home and travelled for nearly a year in Europe to play one tournament after another when the boy was just 13 years old!"

Excerpted from:  https://en.chessbase.com/post/gukesh-becomes-second-youngest-gm-in-history

Risk Burnout like the famous IM Josh Waizkin, but it's a worthy risk if you have a child who loves and has a passion for chess.

Coffee_Player

Wow! Thank you, Sir tournaments.png

SeniorPatzer
Coffee_Player wrote:

Wow! Thank you, Sir

I think Christopher Yoo's family has the means to go all-in if Christopher desires to make GM.  I think there's a Chinese girl who's about 8, 9, or 10 whose brother is a GM who's another prodigy that can be encouraged as well.  

India, Uzbekistan, and Iran are also grooming and developing chess prodigies just like Russia and the United States.  The scholastic chess boom is reverberating globally.

Stephen_Stanfield

Wow! There are so many prodigies these days! I remember being surprised at finding out one of my FM friends was 13 years old.

ResurrectedSon

Veeeerrrrrry interesting. It shows the importance of having a family behind you when they see your potential and help remove roadblocks so you can reach it. Thanks for the post!

SeniorPatzer
Stephen_Stanfield wrote:

Wow! There are so many prodigies these days! I remember being surprised at finding out one of my FM friends was 13 years old.

13 Year Old Fide Master is an outstanding achievement!

But it seems that there could be (and in some ways I hope not) a hierarchy of prodigies.  With Gukesh, Christopher Woo, Pragga, Nihal Sarin, Firenza from Iran, the Uzbekistan boys, et al... there is a Super Prodigy Level.  So there's prodigy, and then there's ... Super Prodigy!

Not long ago, a 13 year-old FM is a Super-Prodigy.  Now today it's almost, but not quite a Super Prodigy.

It's kinda crazy, but exciting and cool at the same time.

Stephen_Stanfield

One wonders how young and how strong the prodigies will be in a few years.

kamalakanta

Thanks!

fightingbob

I don't care if he traveled a year, five years or 25 years in Europe getting experience, for that kind of meteoric rise the kid must be a natural and an extremely talented natural at that, an idiot savant (i.e. autistic), or he cheated.  I would assume one of the first two before casting aspersions.

autobunny

would not expect any less from goku.

AndBell

I wish I started playing young. I started chess a couple months ago in my mid 30s and feel like an old geezer, I'm hoping my engineering/maths background and visualization/logic skills means I have potential to become a good player in spite of being the equivalent of a 90 year old trying to join the NBA. these kids that are rated 1600 at 8 years old and 2000 at 10 years old have such an edge.

SeniorPatzer
AndBell wrote:

I wish I started playing young. I started chess a couple months ago in my mid 30s and feel like an old geezer, I'm hoping my engineering/maths background and visualization/logic skills means I have potential to become a good player in spite of being the equivalent of a 90 year old trying to join the NBA. these kids that are rated 1600 at 8 years old and 2000 at 10 years old have such an edge.

Don't worry about it Andrew.   I'm in the same boat, as are millions of others.  

Chess is a beautiful game that is both fun and frustrating.  Enjoy the art, science, and sport of chess regardless of age and skill.

Coffee_Player
SeniorPatzer wrote:

Chess is a beautiful game that is both fun and frustrating.  Enjoy the art, science, and sport of chess regardless of age and skill.

@SeniorPatzer - well said, thank you! tournaments.png

knighttour2

The rapid rise of some kids is crazy.  I looked at his rating graph and here's what I saw:

1300 to 2100 in 18 months

2100 to GM in a little less than 3 years

ChrisWainscott
Waitzkin burned out as much *due* to his family as not.

His dad not only pushed him too hard, but he ignored the advice of a very good trainer who wanted to give Josh a solid positional foundation by claiming that Josh didn’t need it since he was an attacking player.
SeniorPatzer
ChrisWainscott wrote:
Waitzkin burned out as much *due* to his family as not.

His dad not only pushed him too hard, but he ignored the advice of a very good trainer who wanted to give Josh a solid positional foundation by claiming that Josh didn’t need it since he was an attacking player.

Hopefully, all the prodigies and super prodigies go farther than Josh Waizkin did.

ChrisWainscott
I’m hoping that more parents listen to their coaches 😊
SeniorPatzer
knighttour2 wrote:

The rapid rise of some kids is crazy.  I looked at his rating graph and here's what I saw:

1300 to 2100 in 18 months

2100 to GM in a little less than 3 years

There's meteoric, and then there's METEORIC!!

Time, Money, Talent, Passion, Great Parents, Great Coaches, Willing Sacrifice and Commitment, and Love... all combine as essential ingredients for prodigious success in chess!

jjupiter6

SeniorPatzer wrotenervous.pngo there's prodigy, and then there's ... Super Prodigy!Not long ago, a 13 year-old FM is a Super-Prodigy.  Now today it's almost, but not quite a Super Prodigy.

If there are a number of kids better than player X, they aren't super prodigies. They are prodigies and player X is relegated to being a very good or a strong player. No need to unnecessarily inflate and hype the designations.