I hate Bobby FISHER

Laskersnephew
congrandolor wrote:

Carlson is better than Fisher, I agree.

Almost every "greatest player in the world" is stronger than the preceding "greatest player in the world." That's not at all surprising since every great player's games are the text book for the next generation. Progress is inevitable 

brianchesscake
Laskersnephew wrote:

"He said that he would never lose to a woman and Judit Polgar proved him wrong. LOL"

I'm a great admirer of Judit Polgar, but I can't recall her ever beating Bobby Fischer. Perhaps you are imagining things. 

Fischer visited the Polgar family during the summer of 1993 at their home in Budapest, Hungary.

Bobby with (from left to right) Judit, her mother, and her sister Sofia:

Bobby and 17 year old Judit Polgar:

Bobby played a few games of chess960 ("Fischerrandom") with Susan Polgar, but the games were not recorded and they didn't keep score. Susan was 24 and at the time she was a stronger player than Judit.

Bobby holding the family cat while Susan pets it happy.png

Laskersnephew

I new that Fischer was acquainted with the Polgar family. But I don't think little Judit was much of threat to him--yet!

Also. Fischer sometimes said things to stir up a little controversy. like his "ten best" lists. And remember, Fischer was an teenage boy when he made that famous remark about women chess players. I'm extremely glad that no one was around to record every dumb thing I said as a Teenager

BlizzardLizzard

My feelings on Bobby Fischer are mixed. First of all Bobby Fischer was a legendary player whether you like it or not - that's a fact. Other facts are that he was a sexist, anti semitic nut case with a lot of other psychological problems. He was a great chess player that was a lousy human being in a lot of ways. It's just that simple and anybody who says otherwise isn't being objective.

Leopaws
nklristic wrote:

He was, of course, not right about intelligence. What we should know, however, is the time in history when that thing has been said. It is a time much different than today. We can't look through todays eyes and judge someone's views from 60 years ago. In that time that was a somewhat mainstream view, however bad it is (and naturally it is bad).

Hating him for this reason only is not really logical. If we do that, we should hate many historical figures. For instance, in the 18th century and before, some people who are viewed in a positive light owned slaves, which is of course atrocious. Back then, in some parts of the world, that was considered a norm. People are generally more enlightened today but there is still a long way to go.

Fischer is a controversial figure for sure, loved by many, but hated by many as well for multiple reasons off the board. As a chess player he was a genius and certainly among the best in history if not the very best.

I absolutely agree but wouldn't have the patience to write it all out. This was normal back then. Just like in 100 years maybe things will be like they were then(hopefully not). Then people would talk about how much they hate people who said things that are normal now. But no one would think twice now. Just keep that in mind!

Klepatus
Laskersnephew wrote:
congrandolor wrote:

Carlson is better than Fisher, I agree.

Almost every "greatest player in the world" is stronger than the preceding "greatest player in the world." That's not at all surprising since every great player's games are the text book for the next generation. Progress is inevitable 

Carlsen would have lost to Fischer , no doubt.

Klepatus

I dont know who "Bobby FISHER" is but I love Bobby Fischer.

Leopaws

I don't know about no doubt but is a bet I would take

Ojas2751
Laskersnephew wrote:

"He said that he would never lose to a woman and Judit Polgar proved him wrong. LOL"

I'm a great admirer of Judit Polgar, but I can't recall her ever beating Bobby Fischer. Perhaps you are imagining things. 

Bro, she did...

Ojas2751

Polgár is the only woman to have won a game against a reigning world number one player, and has defeated eleven current or former world champions in either rapid or classical chess: Magnus CarlsenAnatoly KarpovGarry KasparovVladimir KramnikBoris SpasskyVasily SmyslovVeselin TopalovViswanathan AnandRuslan Ponomariov, Bobby FischerAlexander Khalifman, and Rustam Kasimdzhanov.

Laskersnephew

Please publish a link to that (mythical) Polgar - Fischer game since it doesn't seem to be in any database. Here's a little hint, Fischer retired from competitive chess after winning the world championship in 1972. Judit Polgar was born in 1976

Leopaws

Polgar definitely did not win over all of those men. I believe she won over 4 of those but that includes blitz, rapid, and bullet soooooo... I don't know where you are hearing this stuff but even so while she has a win over some of those men they could have 15 wins over her(I have not checked the wins and losses against each other so don't be mad if I'm wrong).

Laskersnephew

She definitely had wins over Spassky, Karpov, Smyslov, Anand, Topalov, Svidler, Shirov . Smyslov, and Mamedyarov among many others  in classical play. And she defeated  Kasparov in te "Russia versus the world" match

Ojas2751

She defeated Carlsen too

Laskersnephew

She was pretty good!

autobunny
Ojas2751 wrote:

This guy just thought that women were terrible players and men are more smart. I appreciate Magnus Carlsen who is just better minded and never just discriminates in gender.

This Bobby guy was not a legendary player, he was a person who thought himself superior.

He said that he would never lose to a woman and Judit Polgar proved him wrong. LOL

What to you people think, was he right?

*I wrote his spelling wrong to make fun of him

Please show us the game where Bobby lost to judit. Don't really think a dead man is offended by your misspelling of his name. 

Or is this merely a call for more attention? 

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/i-may-leave-chess-com

autobunny
Ojas2751 wrote:

Polgár is the only woman to have won a game against a reigning world number one player, and has defeated eleven current or former world champions in either rapid or classical chess: Magnus CarlsenAnatoly KarpovGarry KasparovVladimir KramnikBoris SpasskyVasily SmyslovVeselin TopalovViswanathan AnandRuslan Ponomariov, Bobby FischerAlexander Khalifman, and Rustam Kasimdzhanov.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judit_Polg%C3%A1r

Same text. Except for Bobby. 

Levent_Acemi

This topic will be locked soon by a mod happy.png